Betta fins going transparent/white

weronika123

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had my betta since the end of January, bought him as a beautiful moon tail (I think).
At first he lived in a 12l tank for about two or so months, which after has been now upgraded to a 30l cube tank.
We have been struggling with fin rot in the old tank, but I monitored the water parameters and treated him with medication. It seemed like his fins stopped deteriorating and slowly growing back.
However, not long after re-locating him to the new tank, his top fin started going translucent/white, so I implemented a new regiment of changing 10-20% of the water every two or three days and tried the fin rot medication for the advised 5 days. However, no improvement so far.

None of his behavior has changed, he's still actively swimming around and engaging when given attention, he roams and explores happily and haven't seen for him to be dwelling at any part of the tank.

As anyone would, I got freaked out that maybe there is some chemical imbalance in the tank, so I bought some test strips and the Ammonia and Ph alert by Sachem. All of the tests have been continuously showing all the right results. I'm losing hope for finding any reason and solution as to why the fins seem to be changing the colour so I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

As a note, the tank has an in-built filter to which the cartridge is changed regularly, as well as a heater. I feed my betta 8 pallets of the Hikari Bio-Gold Betta food (4 in the morning and 4 in the evening) as well as a small portion of bloodworms once a week. I also only have the lights on for about 8 hours of the day, and make sure the room is nice and dark so he can rest during the night.

I hope that images attach in chronological order, but you'll be able to see the deterioration regardless. There is a picture of what he looked like a month after I got him, and then how to fin rot started, progressed, and then what he looks like now in the 30l tank.

Attachments

OP
W

weronika123

Reaction score
As a side note, if you need any more pictures, I've got plenty, I try and record everything every two days or so

gerardthebetta

Reaction score
He seems to be doing okay. He does need more room to swim, though, so I recommend maybe a minimum of 5 gallons but 10 gallons is better! Bettas like swim space. His colors are changing most likely due to adaptation, and one of my bettas colors changes frequently. :)

OP
W

weronika123

Reaction score
gerardthebetta said:
He seems to be doing okay. He does need more room to swim, though, so I recommend maybe a minimum of 5 gallons but 10 gallons is better! Bettas like swim space. His colors are changing most likely due to adaptation, and one of my bettas colors changes frequently. :)
Thanks for that! I think 30l is about 6.5 gallons so right in between, can't have a bigger tank at the moment due to space in my room, but he will definitely get a 10 gallon or more in a year or so!
I hope it's just colour change as you mentioned :)

New Threads