Betta Fins Getting Worse

Jodi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I posted a bit ago about my betta having two tears in his tail , they weren’t bad but I couldn’t find the problem, i took out all his decorations and rubbed tissue across them, but they were fine. There are now more tears in his fins and and I’m really scared and don’t know what to do. Here is a picture
Image1525010475.638028.jpg

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he's all alone then he's chewing them himself. If there are other fish with him, theyre nipping him. If he is doing it himself, its probably a stress issue. Make sure he has plenty of plants (change out those neon plastic ones for some real anubias), caves, etc., so keep him occupied and be sure youre keeping the water in healthy parameters.

Jodi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
If he's all alone then he's chewing them himself. If there are other fish with him, theyre nipping him. If he is doing it himself, its probably a stress issue. Make sure he has plenty of plants (change out those neon plastic ones for some real anubias), caves, etc., so keep him occupied and be sure youre keeping the water in healthy parameters.
Ah okay... I was told in the past that silk plants would be okay since i really have no idea how to take care of real plants, other than the two moss balls i have but lol, but i guess that was bad advice. He does have caves and his water parameters are fine, but ill keep up the water changes and look into some real plants, ty

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Silk plants should be fine, but I have a question. In the picture, it looks like the edges of the damaged part of the fin are slightly black/gray. Is this correct? If so, he may have a mild case of finrot.

Jodi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
Silk plants should be fine, but I have a question. In the picture, it looks like the edges of the damaged part of the fin are slightly black/gray. Is this correct? If so, he may have a mild case of finrot.
Oh no i was afraid of that... What do I need/what do i do?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm struggling with a bad case myself. It depends on how quickly it moves... if it seems rather slow moving it can be treated by daily 50% water changes. If it seems to be moving faster, you're going to need medication like methylene blue for dips, kanaplex or erythromycin.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The "hairier" the tank, the more bettas love it. In the wild they live in this thick vegetation/blackwater. Real plants, leaves, sticks, etc., will make him super happy. I see people asking questions about "sick" bettas all the time in bare, neon decorated, tanks. Ive had a number of bettas live over 5 years and a few for up to 7 years in "gross" looking tanks. Water changes and good filtration are the key to "clean" water, and a healthy, happy, betta. If it is fin rot its a bacterial infection caused by poor water conditions but its easily treatable with water changes, cleaning everything in the tank and treating with water with Tetracycline.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom