Betta Fins Getting Damaged

CameronsBettas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi,
I have a male halfmoon betta and yesterday I noticed two small pieces of his tail were gone. It was almost lile they were bitten off but he's in a tank alone. This morning they grew back but a different male of mine has a big chunch missing from his fin aswell, and he's also alone.

brondo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He is doing it to himself. Its sortof common really. I have one that did it over and over. I think he was unhappy. We moved some things, added live plants and turned down his bubbler and he doesn't donit much anymore. You can get Indian Almond Leaves and add it to the tank to aid in healing. It will start to grow back looking like saran wrap almost. But yeah he is doing it.

OP
CameronsBettas

CameronsBettas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
But one of them is a plakat and I doubt he can even reach his fin himself

brondo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well then you prob want to look over all the tank decor and make sure there are no sharp edges. But if it looks like a bite mark, and there's nobody else and everything is fish safe...nom nom nom

OP
CameronsBettas

CameronsBettas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
brondo said:
Well then you prob want to look over all the tank decor and make sure there are no sharp edges. But if it looks like a bite mark, and there's nobody else and everything is fish safe...nom nom nom
Yea it just looks like a bite mark and there isn't anything sharp

mikalac

Reaction score
maybe he got caught on the filter? I came home one day to find a strip of fin stuck in the intake :/ if its the filter you can put nylon stockings over it. good luck

OP
CameronsBettas

CameronsBettas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
mikalac said:
maybe he got caught on the filter? I came home one day to find a strip of fin stuck in the intake :/ if its the filter you can put nylon stockings over it. good luck
Nope, sponge filter

Addie42 said:
post a pic of the whole tank plz
Ignore the empty breeder box I'm going to remove it right now
IMG_20190303_203044.jpg

Addie42

Well Known
Reaction score
Hey said:
Ignore the empty breeder box I'm going to remove it right now
IMG_20190303_203044.jpg
really pretty tank, I do not see anything he could rip his fins on. You might find it useful to close up the open area behind the columns with some java fern or something so he feels less vulnerable. Having floating plants helps too

OP
CameronsBettas

CameronsBettas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Addie42 said:
really pretty tank, I do not see anything he could rip his fins on. You might find it useful to close up the open area behind the columns with some java fern or something so he feels less vulnerable. Having floating plants helps too
Thanks!

New Threads