betta Fins Curling

Reluctantfishowner

Reaction score
Hello!
I was recently given a betta fish from a friend who was not taking very good care of it. It used to live in a .5 gallon bowl. I have switched it to a 1 gallon tank with an ungergravel filter (I know the tank needs to be bigger, I am working on getting at least a 2.5 gallon tank but this is the one I had on hand) I have also been using aquarium salts when I change the water.
I think there is a problem with its fins, they are fairly limp and seem to curl at the tips. If any one has any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it I would be very grateful! I just want the fishy to be healthy!

Attachments

Reluctantfishowner

Reaction score
I'm not completely sure how old the betta is but, my friend had it for over 6 months.
I can't tell you the exact water parameters, as I have been unable to get to a store to get a testing kit in the past few days. I have been using tap water and a water conditioner for the tank, and changing about a quarter of the water (adding more aquarium salt and conditioner each time to the water in a separate container before putting it in the tank) every 2-3 days, since it was given to be less than a week ago.
This is the first betta I have ever been responsible for and just want to do everything I can to help it!

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t add the salt as he doesn’t need it. When bettas age their fins can start to curl but I don’t think that’s the case here. Do his fins look ragged along the edges?

Reluctantfishowner

Reaction score
I'd say the top fin may look a bit ragged, but his tail doesn't really. (I've attached another image of him resting at the bottom of his tank). His top fin tends to almost flop over.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes he does appear to have quite long fins he could just be biting them but because we don’t know the water parameters then we can’t be sure. Here is a link identifying fin rot, a common diesese mostly caused by poor water quality water

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom