Betta fins coming off. Please help!!

1. maludoca Initiate Member

I got my better two weeks ago. It a double tail half moon betta, i named him Charlie. Sad to say his fins started having tears on them, suspected it was one of the decorations so i took one of the decorations out. Then the tears started to become bigger and chunks of his fins started coming off. Then i figured it was the filter sucking up his fins so i stopped using my filter. I started treating him with bettafix but it didnt seem to help. I change do 100% water change one a week for a 3 gallon tank. I just changed his water today and added Api Stress Coat. Despite all of this, he's still very active and eats normally. I would say he's a happy fish but his fins are making me sad. Please help!!

2. PythonTheBetta Member Member

The 100% water changes could be stressing him out. Perhaps he's a tail biter? Also, Bettafix contains tea tree oil which can be harmful to fish with labyrinth organs(like bettas) make sure to read the dosing instructions carefully. I'd say continue to add the stress coat. Hope Charlie recovers soon!
    Also: are the edges of his tail black? If so it could be fin rot.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Could you post a picture?
    Also did you turn the filter back on? You need a filter in order to have a cycled tank. What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

With bettas they can get fin rot which frequent water changes, and a cycled clean tank will cure that in time. Some bettas also chew their own tails because the weight makes it difficult to swim.

4. Saphirae Initiate Member

Sorry that your betta is having trouble.

I definitely agree with Python and clk89. Instead of completely stopping the filter, I would try to baffle the intake a little bit instead. You could use a piece of spongy filter media so that the water still goes in, but your fish won't get its fins caught. Just rinse it in a container of tank water every time you do water changes to keep it clean.

Also what kind of decorations do you have? Try to avoid plastic plants—they tend to tear fins. If you don't already have some, you could use silk or even live plants. If you're having trouble figuring out if a certain plant would be safe for your fish, you could do the "nylon test". Run a pair of nylons over the plant and see if the plant gets stuck in the fabric.