Betta fins are tattered - Water Changing?

TofusGingerAle

I have a white opal betta fish named Tofu. Recently I started treating him for fin rot, which I'm only 70% sure he has. His fins are tattered, but I havn't noticed any red, black, or white fungus or anything. His tank is ten gallons, and he has a snail and four tentras. They get along well, and have not noticed any fin nipping.

My question is about water changes during treatment. My coworker has recommended using melafix and pimafix at the same time. My water is cloudy and turning kind of green. I want to do a water change but I don't want to mess up the treatment. Should I change the water or just leave it until the directions say to change it?
1543383004552652773104.jpg

Skavatar

must follow the directions.

good luck.

Vaughn

Follow the directions the medicine gave you or it might not work the right way. He's a beautiful fish

Lauren4events

I have a white opal betta fish named Tofu. Recently I started treating him for fin rot, which I'm only 70% sure he has. His fins are tattered, but I havn't noticed any red, black, or white fungus or anything. His tank is ten gallons, and he has a snail and four tentras. They get along well, and have not noticed any fin nipping.

My question is about water changes during treatment. My coworker has recommended using melafix and pimafix at the same time. My water is cloudy and turning kind of green. I want to do a water change but I don't want to mess up the treatment. Should I change the water or just leave it until the directions say to change it?
1543383004552652773104.jpg
It depends on your water parameters. If you have more than 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, or nitrate over 20, I would do a water change and then retreat the tank based on the water removed.
If not, you should be fine to wait.

To be honest, I’ve never had much luck with Melafix or pimafix. To me, it’s like treating with Tylenol when a a stronger antibiotic is needed. They don’t really resolve anything.

If you tell me what your readings are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, I can help better.
Also, how is the fish doing today? Does he seem to be getting better? Is there a change in behavior? Any details would help.

Also, does the tank have a filter? That’s pretty important.

regular water changes will help with an indian amond leave in the tank

Smalltownfishfriend

Melafix and pima fix are very controversial meds. It is said that they will coat a bettas labyrinth organ and suffocate it. I would highly recommend changing the water to get it out, and not using it again with a betta. It's kinda a snake oil med Imo!!

marshall1019

Follow the directions the medicine gave you or it might not work the right way. He's a beautiful fish
Check with your fish store experts. That's the best advice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Caffee
Replies
Views
SgtTesla
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
  • Question
Replies