Betta Fins are Messed Up - Help!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Purrloon, Jul 10, 2015.

1. PurrloonNew MemberMember

tumblr_nr9f2b96o71uycesjo1_540.jpg
    My poor Goku's fins are really messed up.. Is there anything that can be done? I don't want him to be hurt.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

What caused the damage?

Keep your water as pristine as possible. Torn, nipped fins should mend on their own. It wouldn't hurt to do a couple of extra water changes.

Beautiful Betta!

Ken

3. FishesInTank

FishesInTankValued MemberMember

Hi there and welcome to Fishlore! :)

Sorry i have no experience on Betta but.. does he/she swim weirdly? Maybe the flow of the water, check it's movement carefully. Cool betta and keep it nicely.

The Owner of Good Fishes and Killing Fishes group

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    P

PurrloonNew MemberMember

Hello to both of you!
    Surprisingly my Goku is acting fairly normal from what I understand..
    Healthy appetite, swims around fairly easily.. He's been through quite a bit actually, several tank changes in the last couple of months. He's finally settled into his new 2.5 gallon. I think one issue is perhaps the pump/filter current is a bit too strong for him.. I don't think there's a way turn it down either.
    It's apparently a special betta tank too? (located  )
    All and all he seems pretty all right despite his ragged appearance.. I'm really rootin' for his recovery since he's my baby. I've been using   as well, but doesn't really seem to help.

5. FishesInTank

Help!

Betta actaully don't need filter (if you want go ahead, but dont put strong current cuz they dont like it) but if anything happen, tell us :).

Edit: Look post below

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

FishesInTank That is horribly bad advice. all fish need a filter including betta's however it is true that they dont like a strong current. Try cutting a water bottle up to act as a makeshift baffle.

7. FishesInTank

Yea ik :p cuz i dont have experience on bettas and of course your right, they need filter (i readed) but they can breathe through air.

Filter is for cleaning the tank, so maybe putting it with slow current should do

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  8. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Um Ok, not sure if your being sarcastic or not as English isnt your 1st language but in the future its a good idea to check any advice you give if you are not sure

9. FishesInTank

Lol im not good in english plus im not sarcastic bruh XD ok im sorry for this time but i just tried to give what i know (i read sometimes betta dont need filter but now you tell so i learnt from my mistake lol) im not good at betta sorry :3 forgive me im just trying to help (not sarcastic)

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Good to have you here and lovely betta! :)

First off, what are your water parameters?

What I would do is make sure the flow from the filter isn't too strong and keep the water conditions pristine. Also, did he have any tankmates before or have you been noticing him biting at his own fins?

11. OP
    OP
    P

PurrloonNew MemberMember

Hi BornTheWayBettas,
    I'm actually unsure of them.. I definitely need something to check that I know ): His tank isn't suited up as much as my 5gal atm. (Lacking a heater and such.)
    I just purchased a few other tank supplies but I haven't picked up the item that allows me to measure all of that. ): It will likely have to wait another week maybe until I have money again but..He previously was with 2 guppies but heh.. he went after them opposed to them going after him.
    As for the water, I guess I won't know until I get something to measure the parameters.

12. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Well, try to keep him in a warmer part of the house, making them cold can make them sick, partially from the stress of just being cold I guess.

Also, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit is really for checking your water parameters; it measures pH. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and high pH. Don't get the test strips as these are inaccurate.

For now, you can try taking in a water sample to somewhere like Petsmart and they'll check it for you, they just might use test strips though.

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What filter are you currently using in your betta tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. thefishdude277

thefishdude277Well Known MemberMember

I see you have him in a 2.5 gallon...
    I'd upgrade to a 5-10 gallon tank for him to be happier and to regrow his fins

:)

15. Josianne Thessereault

Josianne ThessereaultNew MemberMember

I would move him to a 5 gallon minimum and keep up the water changes to prevent infection. Also, if you have plastic plants, be aware that they can damage a betta's delicate fins. Silk plants are recommended for bettas.

16. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

The filter isn't for cleaning the tank necessarily. It's where you house the bacteria colony that maintains your cycle. If you don't have a filter, the ammonia will rise in the tank which will stress and soon enough kill the fish.

The filter is needed even with bettas, doesn't matter if they have a labyrinth organ and breathe air.

17. Josianne Thessereault

Josianne ThessereaultNew MemberMember

Agree with LiterallyHydro. Any fish need a filter. Mine has a Low/High setting, you can check if yours has one, otherwise I would use the water bottle baffle trick. There are tutorials on Youtube, just be careful to not use the side with the glue.

18. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

When dealing with betta tanks, I opt for sponge filters so the flow is nice and low for them. They are also really quiet and inexpensive.

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Just get the Tetra Whisper 3i, it's an internal filter made for 1-3 gallons. The flow is appropriate for tanks that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are the water parameters and what test kit are you using? (If any)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice