Betta Finrot Desperately Need Help

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Valued Member Member

Hi, I bought a beautiful white betta from a guy online about a month ago. It had a minor tear in its dorsal fin, but other than that it seemed okay. He was kept in a small 0.5 gallon tank before I got him.
    I immediately bought him a 2.5 gallon tank with a sponge filter and air pump. The seller said he would only eat dried blood worms, but in a few days I managed to start him off on betta pellets and dried blood worms only occasionally.
    I ordered a thermometer and 25watt heater from Amazon India, but believe it or not both turned out to be faulty. So my new thermometer is on the way, and I ordered a marina fluval 25watt heater from Amazon Global, which is taking a while in shipping.
    Anyway, it turns out the dorsal tear, was actually fin rot and it has gotten progressively worse!!
    I read up a lot online. First I tried 50% water changes daily, just making sure ammonia and nitrites were 0. When that didn't work, I started treating the tank with aquarium salt as per directions. 2 tsp per gallon with daily water changes. And NONE of it has helped.
    He used to be more lethargic but had improved a bit in that department. Eats happily. Picture taken today attached. Please help! :(
    (sorry for the long post)
    a09913107dcaf690260bc49601e40905.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

i'm a newbie too, so i don't know much, but have you read the fishlore finrot page? there are so pretty useful tips on how to medicate on there. good luck

3. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

Yes I have, thank you though. I would like to avoid chemical medication if I could. :(

4. Biiba

Biiba Valued Member Member

Hi there! It sounds like you are doing everything to help your little guy, he's beautiful.
    Clean water is the best thing to help with fin rot, (in my opinion). I have successfully treated fin rot with clean water and aquarium salt with a little guy I had a few years ago.
    Is your tank cycled?

5. Heavy Metal Lion

i understand. have you tried looking up videos on youtube? i wish i could offer more help, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here, and i'm sure they will help you out in no time. fingers crossed for your beautiful betta.

6. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

I tried cycling it, but with all the water changes I'm quite sure I've lost it. All I'm trying to make sure of is that the ammonia and nitrite are in control. I really was hoping clean water would be the key, and I've given it a few weeks. It's just gotten worse.

Tried, my friend. Some say use bettafix, some say never use bettafix. Some say salt bath, some say salt dip.
    Im really hoping to get a concrete answer here once and for all. Lots of mixed information out there!

7. Biiba

Water changes don't usually affect your cycle as most of the beneficial bacteria is in your filter media, so you don't need to worry about that! :)

As long as you're keeping ammonia and nitrite at 0 or very close to that you're doing great. Are you sure it's finrot and he's not biting his fins or tail? Sometimes finrot causes darker coloured edges to the fins and tail on a light coloured fish.

Also, could he be catching them on anything in his tank? Is there anything with sharp or abrasive edges?

Sorry to ask so many questions! I'm just trying to help

8. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

The colour of my betta really doesn't help with finding mending fins. :)
    There was a thin outline on some parts of the fins a while back. Then that went and a bit of red. Then nothing, I think.
    The huge rip in the tail is from last night. I considered biting, but I don't think it can cause such rips

9. Heavy Metal Lion

i thought the same thing, that it didn't look like finrot. what else is in his aquarium with him?

10. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

I'll show you. The gravel is blunt, the leaves on the fake plant are rounded, and the rock in the middle has hiding spots for the betta. The filter is behind the plants. 671fdbc7a48e208f0837db4f8035b616.jpg

11. Heavy Metal Lion

you said he came with a hole in his fin? could he have possibly snagged that hole on the plant?

12. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

2tsp per gallon is too much for a betta, don't do it for more than a few days or his organs will fail.

Keep changing the water daily and make sure there is nothing in the tank to hinder the regeneration. I don't see any fin rot present in those pictures, so it clearly stopped. So now it's just a waiting game, given you're keeping your water pristine.

How long has it been since you started treating? My honest guess is that you're getting a bit impatient and he's a bit of a slow healer. :) Just wait him out and be very careful with that salt, it's very bad for bettas in the long run.

Beautiful boy, by the way!

13. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

Thank you, I'm quite attached to him. I wouldn't be getting so frantic if I couldn't see deterioration on a worrying basis. When I started the salt treatment (only did it for a week), I took pictures each day to compare what I hoped would be progress. Instead I saw it worsening :(
    250d2c31932fba6f74ac9107526091f5.jpg
    This was him on day 3 of the treatment, while he still had some of his natural top finage. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so..

He came with a rip in his caudal fin. Otherwise he was fine. That was long before the other fins started tearing. 35fb3eea4552cb8bb5ffe250da602840.jpg

14. Biiba

I've noticed with my lighter coloured fish that new fin or tail growth is usually clear! (So not the easiest to spot) do you think he may have 'blown' his tail? That could cause a huge rip like that. Does he flare excessively? Could anything be stressing him out? Are any of the plants sharp?
    The reason I ask is that I once had a little guy that I rescued from a pet store, he was in a terrible state and very stressed. His fins and tail literally shredded and disintegrated overnight. I treated him with lots of water changes and aquarium salt, kept his aquarium lighting to a minimum and made sure he was kept calm.
    Within 2 weeks he started getting new growth and around 6 weeks later they had really improved and grown.

It's awful when they have problems, and so worrying! I think you're doing a great job, as Tunafax says it can take time for them to heal. It's hard to be patient, I hope he starts to improve :happy:

15. Biiba

I don't want to hijack your post but this was the little guy I had whose fins completely disintegrated overnight. He was in such a sorry state but they did grow back and I didn't use any meds at all other than clean water and aquarium salt!

16. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

He only flares a little, not very often. I'll continue keeping the water clean. I hope he isn't stressed. But with this state of fins it's a bit difficult to tell if he's clamping. Thank you so much for the advice.
    The pictures you sent aren't opening on my phone for some reason.

17. Biiba

I'm not sure why the photos won't open, I just wanted to show an example of new fin growth, you're welcome to look at the photo albums on my profile page. Fingers crossed your beautiful betta will get his fins back in good health, good luck :)

18. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Then I'm sure your plant is to blame, and possibly that gravel. Betta fins are very delicate, and I don't see anywhere for him to sit other on sha He should have a hammock.

There is no fin rot in any of the pictures, just lightly damaged fins. Salt doesn't grow fins - it stops infection that hinders fin growth (imagine it's like iodine - it won't grow your skin back, but it stops infection). Clean water grows fins, and in any case 1 week is enough salt, especially since that dose is too high. Your next WC should be salt free.

There is no fin rot. Just lose the plant and wait him out.

19. Heavy Metal Lion

maybe try a live plant. mine loved when i switched from fake to real plants

20. OP
    OP
    Andromeda

Okay! Thank you all!