Betta Fin Webbing Ballooning (crowntail)

WRXTerror

Reaction score
I have a male betta crowntail that is having an issue with its fins. The webbing on his dorsal fin is ballooning and growing faster than the rest of his fins. The water parameters are great with only Nitrates and they are around 5-10. He lives alone in a cycled Spec V 5 gallon tank at 80 degrees and low flow. I do have harder water with higher calcium from the tap. I feed him once daily New Life spectrum betta food, and once weekly frozen brine shrimp. This balloon is growing and becoming unsightly but doesn't seem to affect his health. I was considering sedating him and removing the extra growth. Does anyone know what is causing this, a way to correct it? I have attached an image, if you click on it you can clearly see the issue. Thanks!

Attachments

WRXTerror

Reaction score
Not a wound, it just forms an open bag shape due to the size. It has been growing steadily over time.

WRXTerror

Reaction score
Not a wound, it just forms an open bag shape due to the size. It has been growing steadily over time.

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never seen anything like that. If you're convinced it's just webbing I'd say it's better to leave him alone than risk sedation and surgery- especially do-it-yourself surgery. The surgery itself can cause injury and infection, and sedating fish calls for experience. I know some vets will operate on fish, but they aren't common.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's crazy, I've never seen anything like that. Is it between two spines? Even if it isn't, I'd advise against surgery as it appears to be some type of immune system gone wrong. Most of the time, when people try to operate on immune caused deformities, it often causes it to come right back and grow more rapidly as well as spread to other parts of the body. That being said, I'm not sure there's much you can do about it. He's still a very beautiful crowntail though.

WRXTerror

Reaction score
Yes the "balloons" are between the spines, so far only on the dorsal fin, but I see it in about 5 places with one large spot. I guess i will treat with antibiotics just in case, but he shows no signs on illness. I will stay away from correcting it, so far he doesn't seem affected. I was only going to try and correct it if it seemed to affect his mobility.
Inkedbetta 1_LI.jpg
Inkedbetta 2_LI.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sounds like a good plan, I would only be worried if it began to affect mobility. That being said, if you're going to medicate I would run it by people on here first as many common medications can be lethal to betta fish. Some of these include melafix, pimafix, and even bettafix, as they contain a type of oil that can suffocate bettas. I hope this doesn't turn into an issue for him, and I'm sorry that I can't think of anything to fix it. I wish you the best luck.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn’t subject him to any meds if he’s acting normal and eating. Keep your water as clean as possible and wait for more eyeballs on this. You don’t want to stress his kidneys with the wrong meds. I do so wish I could see it.
@75g Discus Tank @david1978 what y’all think?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try clean water. It does seem like the fin is swelling up.

Clean water is one of the best meds IMO as it helps heal the fish naturally and usually doesn't have side effects.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is quite interesting. It doesn't look like an infection or anything like that so i would hold off on the meds for now aswell.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom