Betta Fin Splitting

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Had a betta in a cycled tank for about a month. Checked on him today and his fins are splitting.

Appetite is normal. Doesn't seem to have any trouble swimming.

Crushed coral.
5 gallons.
0 ammonia
20 ppm nitrate
0 Nitrite
Ph 7.5
Shares tank with 2 adf. One nerite snail. One khuli loach.

No fighting that I've seen. Not sure what's causing it unless maybe its the ph. Is there a good way to lower ph? Any other ideas what to do?

Attachments

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
7.5 is a pretty good ph for bettas actually. I'd assume something in the tank cut him. You can check to see if anything in the tank is sharp by running nylon pantyhose over the edges- if it pulls or rips them then it would do the same to his fin.

Also just as a note- I'm pretty sure that kuhlis need a 20 gallon tank.

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
7.5 is a pretty good ph for bettas actually. I'd assume something in the tank cut him. You can check to see if anything in the tank is sharp by running nylon pantyhose over the edges- if it pulls or rips them then it would do the same to his fin.

Also just as a note- I'm pretty sure that kuhlis need a 20 gallon tank.
Yeah I will probably rehome the khuli. He's tiny at the moment. I will look through the tank to see what he could have cut himself on. Thanks for the advice!

Spyder

Valued Member
Reaction score
One kuhli is fine. 10 gallons would be optimal but you’re good for now. Regular water changes and inspect sharp edges deco as others said. You’re all good.

Aquarium CoOp on YT recommends loaches as 10g tank mates for Bettas in a 10g.

I have 6 cardinal tetras, 5 Panda Cory and a Betta in my 10g for now and they’re thriving. I do 30% water changes twice a week though and they’re all babies still. Will be upgrading them to 20g within 3 months.

Pdiddy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd have to disagree that the kuhli is fine. They really prefer to be in groups and need a soft or smooth substrate. Anything under 20 gallons is way too small imo.

Anyway, back to the betta. You said you have crushed coral in your tank? Do you think it's possible your betta is getting close enough to it to scrape his fins on it? I'd also recommend really sitting and observing as much as you can to be certain there's no problems with the other tank mates. Keep us updated!

Spyder

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree that the kuhli is fine. They really prefer to be in groups and need a soft or smooth substrate. Anything under 20 gallons is way too small imo.

Anyway, back to the betta. You said you have crushed coral in your tank? Do you think it's possible your betta is getting close enough to it to scrape his fins on it? I'd also recommend really sitting and observing as much as you can to be certain there's no problems with the other tank mates. Keep us updated!
For now I personally think Op is fine with one. More would be better in a larger tank, sure, but I’ve found far too often on forums such as this - community members always recommend the optimal and often over-exaggerated conditions. One loach can thrive for the longevity of their lifespan. But reading online will lead people to believe you NEED the minimum recommended school in the over sized tank. Not all conditions are realistic for the common hobbyist and yes, believe it or not, fish can thrive given good water quality and feeding regimens. I personally know several people that have one or 2 Panda Cory in a tank (they’re recommended in shoals of 4-6 if you read online) and they’re 3.5” and 6-8 YEARS old. Sometimes we base way too much on the ideals as opposed to what’s OK. But, similar to any other pets such as cats and dogs, it’s understandable that some enthusiasts stick to the rule they read and learned.

Edit: I may add that an awarded breeder in my area confirmed that loaches will do just fine alone. Recommends two to buyers, but stresses one will thrive unnoticeably solo (as opposed to multiple) if taken care of properly.

Pdiddy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Surviving and thriving are two different things. I was just stating what I know and experienced with these fish, this is my opinion and some information I thought might be helpful for the op to hear especially since they stated they are already considering moving the loach to a larger tank. However, this thread is not about the loach it's about the betta.

Hopefully Joshua you can find whatever it is that is tearing up your betta's fins. Feel around the deco and substrate to feel if anything's pokey or sharp at all. A partial water change probably wouldn't hurt either.

Joshuaharestad

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone for your advice. The loach was alone when I got him, but I can rehome him if that's for the best. As for the betta, still about the same, fins look terrible but he's swimming normal. I don't see anything that looks like infection or rot. Knock on wood. I think maybe he tore em up swimming under a piece of drift wood.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom