Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Betta Fin Rot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by RobinIsACattto, Apr 14, 2019.

1. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10g
    How long has the tank been running? about a month and ten days
    Does it have a filter? yes
    Does it have a heater? yes
    What is the water temperature? 79.9 atm; usually around 80F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) just a betta and plants

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? about weekly; just got the fish so I change whenever the nitrates get too high (40ppm)
    How much of the water do you change? about 30-50%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit; API gh and kh test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0.25
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10-20
    pH: 7.4

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish? 2 pellets
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No frozen yet (I'll be getting that this week); no freeze dried (ever)

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? about a week
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Just now
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? A large chunk of his tail is gone, is dorsal fin (which has always looked a little tattered) looks worse; all fins have small holes
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes (just the fin rot)
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Been flaring less now that I look at him atm; appearance is kinda obvious.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. So, I have been out and busy at night due to my school's musical, so my mom has been his primary caretaker for the past few days. I don't know if that's an issue, though, as she's been following my instructions (turn the lights on and of at this time, feed him two pellets when you do the light). I was doing some cleaning around my room and I went to check on him and noticed how tattered his fins were (I'll get a pic then). I tested his parameters and they're all fine. Filter is buffered with a sponge on the waterfall part so there's little water disturbance (is that the problem?). Water is still fully passing through the filter. I am having a couple of algae problems (mainly with my anubias) but I wouldn't think that'd be the cause.
    There's also a major storm going right now (we have a tornado warning, but I live in Pennsylvania so I'm not too concerned lol), is that stressing him? Can they feel stressed by that? Idek at this point what could cause this.
    Also, today's the first day I'm fasting him, could that be the cause? Am I supposed to fast him?
    Also also, there's nothing pointy in the tank. All the plants are live and the rock hide I have has been smoothed down so it's not sharp at all. Thoughts?

Pics: first is before; second is after (this all happened in a day btw). Third is the whole tank.

Attached Files:

2. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

kind looks like fin biting to me
    but you do have ammonia... is that same level of ammonia in your tap water?
    what filter media do you use?

3. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

I have about 1ppm in my tap. Then again, API does note that the whole ammonia portion is plus or minus 0.25ppm, so it could be fine. Should I add in some prime to detox this?

For filter media I have the sponge that came with the filter, biomax, and some polyfil. The filter is the aquaclear 20 btw

4. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

To me it looks more like his fins being shredded because the rays are still intact. You say the filter is buffered with a sponge at the output, but the intake of the filter can also suck up a betta's fins. Look into buying a intake cover or simply make a diy one with a pantyhose tied around it with some elastic bands.

Continue to maintain the water quality and his fins should heal up perfectly fine. Optional additives such as Indian Almond Leaves or Stressguard have therapeutic and antiseptic properties which can help speed up the healing process.

5. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Alright, I'll look into getting an intake sponge and adding in some more IALs (I already have a few small ones in there). Thanks for the help!

6. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Ok, well, it's getting worse. I have an intake sponge on the way, but I'm not sure what I can do until that comes in.

Pics:
    1. Before
    2. Yesterday
    3&4. Today

Attached Files: