Betta fin rot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Gordinian, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Hello everybody!

I got my betta, Ash, awhile back, and sadly he came with some fin rot. He's in a 5 gallon by himself, so I don't have to worry about it spreading. I've been doing water change after water change to try and fix him up, but it's just not working.

I'm about to head off to the fish store, is there anything I can buy that will help him out? I've been looking on the internet, and I've read about quite a few ways to heal it, but I don't know which method is best, or even if they work. What do you suggest?

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

im pretty sure fin rot shouldn't spread, just fyi.

natural ways..
    vita chem
    fish protector
    soaking foods in garlic
    lots of water changes, every day...

if you have tried that and want to try meds then give maracyn 1 & 2 a try. i have used this stuff many times with good results.

what temp is the tank at? i believe the bacteria that is involved in fin rot like warmer temps. try lowing the temp slowly down to 78f and keep it there tell its gone.

3. OP
    OP
    Gordinian

I can only find maracyn plus, will that work??

4. bankruptjojo

its suppose to be a little stronger. i have some but only used it once. if thats all you can find then sure go ahead and give that a try.

5. OP
    OP
    Gordinian

Ok great!

Sorry for not being a little more detailed, I was using my phone. I had to go to FIVE different pet/fish stores to find just this. The second one I went to, oddly enough my favorite lfs, recommended I get melafix. Thanks, but maybe not! I tried to explain it was bad for bettas, but he wouldn't hear of it, so I just told him I already had some at home and would use that, lol.

I just added the maracyn plus, hopefully it works! It says to add more on days 1, 3, and 5, but doesn't say when treatment is actually complete- I would assume day five or six? I should do a water change then, right?

6. bankruptjojo

i didnt use there directions at all....

i added the initial dose on day 1. then i did daily water changes adding back 50% of the first dose after the water change. i kept this up for 2 weeks. this is what i thought was best, i hate not giving them water changes.

but yes by the directions it should be done by day 7, then do a big 60% water change.