Betta Fin rot? Help

1. Ridendi Member Member

EDIT: Please offer some advice guys, I know I need to be patient, but the longer I wait, the worse the situation gets! :( :(

EDIT: The membrane has receded further, and one of the rays has receded too. I haven't given him any more medication, I'm doing daily water changes, and the results of 3 water tests with 3 different kits have all told me the water conditions are fine. The temperature is also steady. He's active, colourful, and eating well, but his fins are not improving! :( Is it possible he's developing a crown-tail? I've literally tried everything, and nothing is helping him, it's really stressing me out seeing him this way.

Hi,

About 2 weeks ago I introduced a new Betta to my tank. I don't think I've edited the stats for this tank yet on my profile, but it's essentially the same as the one old one. I forget the make, but this tank is 6-7G, and I cycled it for 5-6 months. I did the same cycle as I did with my other tank, which has housed a happy Betta for about 3-4 years now. I added fish food to get the bacteria up, etc, etc, everything spiked, then dropped to normal levels. I checked the levels for another few weeks until I was sure everything was safe, then I went out and bought the Betta... (if you need any more info about the cycle just let me know, but I've checked the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates twice in the last hour and they're all at good levels.)

For 2 weeks, he has been absolutely fine. I did a water change a week in, and he's on a diet of Betta pellets and bloodworms. I got home today at about 4:00pm, and he was still fine. It's now 7:50pm, I looked at the tank about 45 minutes ago, and his fins had... well, I'm not sure! The rays are all intact, but the membrane has receded. I can't take any pictures, but this looks a lot like my Betta's fins: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/userpix/616_IMG_01572_1.jpg

I've done a 60-70% water change, and treated the tank for fin rot. The fin's don't seem to actively be decaying right now. My question is, is this fin rot? Could he have ripped his fins on the filter? ...I had someone suggest he may be a crowntail, but I thought the tail was already crowned at birth...

There are some silk plants in the tank. I did the 'pantyhose' test to check if they were a threat but honestly, they're all very soft. And the way his fin's look, it doesn't seem like they got caught on anything. The filter current isn't that strong either so I'm pretty sure that's not the cause. The only reason I can think of is fin rot, but I didn't think it could develop that fast, and the conditions in my tank wouldn't promote it at all.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Is it possible that he is nipping his own fins?

3. Ridendi Member Member

I thought that may be a possibility... But the fins look a little too neat for it to be nipping. I've never had a Betta nip before, but I'm assuming it would look more messy, and 'ragged'? Right now all the membranes between the fin rays seems to have receded to about the same length.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll watch him for a while and see if I can spot any fin nipping.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You also might try a small dose of Pimafix mixed with Melafix to heal his tail. If it is fin rot, it will cure it. Now, some people claim that labrynth fish should not use this product. I have used it successfully on both Bettas and Gouramis with no complications. The only thing you do not want to do is over dose them.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you can try to get a pic , it would be easier to try to help...maybe a friend can get a pic for you? ....id hate to see any fish medicated if he looks the way he is suppose too...or if not sure what exactly is going on....

6. Ridendi Member Member

I've tried getting a picture with my camera but he won't come anywhere near the front of the tank when he sees it. I've tried zooming in on him but the camera won't focus through the glass, and the only time I can get any photos at all is when he's not moving, which is when his tail is kind of trailing and you can't see his fins properly. :/ Believe me, I'd much rather you all judged the situation by a photo, but I literally can't take one, sorry.

And his fins have gotten worse. The rays are still intact, but the membrane is getting lower and lower, it also looks a little more ragged than before, and I think one of the rays has gotten a little smaller. I seriously don't know what to do, I really need some help. :(

I haven't given him any more medication, I'm just doing water changes every day, I've bought 3 test kits now, and they all say that the water conditions are fine. I'm so stressed out, nothing I do is helping him, and I hate seeing my boy this way! Is it possible he's a crowntail or not?

7. Ridendi Member Member

Anyone? :(