How long has the tank been running?
A year
Does it have a filter?
Yes, a Top Fin 10G baffled with a cut plastic cup
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
78-79 degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
One black orchid Betta fish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?

Since the fin rot, about every other to every other two days
How much of the water do you change?
About 3 gallons
What do you use to treat your water?
Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API Freshwater Master Test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?

Twice a day (less to none on Sundays)
How much do you feed your fish?
4-6 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Omega One Betta buffet pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?

Since the end of last September (about 9 months now)
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
since last October (I’m terrible I know)
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
He’s lost about a half cm of fin on the back of his tail, and a few strips on his underfins
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Water changes every few days
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Not to my knowledge
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Besides the obvious fin rot, he’s pretty normal, zips around his tank, then will settle down for a bit in the leaves of his silk plant, and then swim around again

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

He’s had persisting fin rot for 9 months now. It started out as just the edges of his tail fin, and now has effected his top, bottom, and about half a cm of his back fin. I’ve done water changes all this time, which slow it down but it’s never completely gone away. There’s been times it was almost completely healed, and then would rip again. I think it might’ve started with fin nipping (however I’ve never caught him doing it) and then progressed into fin rot. I sound terrible for not solving this over 9 months, and this is not really an excuse, but I’m a student in school still, and had other reasons which would sometimes lead to lacks in the frequency of his water changes. I have aquarium salt, but I’ve always been hesitant to use it due to mixed things I’ve heard. Indian Almond leaves have been recommended to me, but I had never got them because I thought the tannins that leached from his mopani log would suffice. I’ve heard salt baths help, but I have no idea how to do those as I’m a beginner in the fish keeping work. At this point, I’m just looking for tips on how to finally get rid of his fin rot, without causing damage to him (I know better than to use melafix/bettafix). If salt bathes actually help, could someone explain how to properly do one? Please and thank you! I’ll attach pictures of his fin rot progression which I have. (Dates correspond with the order of the pictures)

-Original state (October 6 2019)
-first signs of fin rot (October 14 2019)
-today *last three pictures* (July 2 2019) excuse the terrible lighting it’s almost impossible to get a decent picture of him withought him waggling thinking there’s food

Attachments

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi 05Apollo,

Let me say that you have a very beautiful betta!!! Just gorgeous!

It sounds like you are on top of the water situation. I would try this for the next few weeks to see if it works.

Do small water changes every day (10 to 20%) for at least a couple of weeks. Then, you can start doing them every other day until he gets better. These small changes really don't take a lot of effort. You can use a cup and a bucket, and it won't take a lot of time. Continue to check your water parameters to make sure everything is ok. Continue to monitor his temp. Keeping him warm is also necessary. I try to keep my betta ,babies at 80 degrees, or even a little higher. You can actually go as high as 83 degrees and it won't hurt the fish. Just keep the temp constant.

Add a good sized piece of Indian almond leaf to the tank. The more tannins, the better, when you are fighting fin rot (or any other fish disease/illness).

If you can, get some Seachem Stressguard. This is a fish antiseptic and actually acts like a liquid bandage. I use it with every water change on my betta tanks.

If you don't see new fin growth in the next couple of weeks, then I would suggest getting some Seachem Paraguard. That is what I use for persistent fin rot. If you can't get that, then you might want to try API General Cure. I prefer the liquid medication, like Paraguard, over the powdered stuff.

I only use the medicine as a last resort. If you honestly stick to the regimen I've suggested, you should see the fin rot subside.

Another note....realize that when his fins start to grow back, they may not look like they did before. Sometimes they are translucent. Sometimes they curl.

I hope this helps!

OP
05Apollo

05Apollo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rose of Sharon said:
Hi 05Apollo,

Let me say that you have a very beautiful betta!!! Just gorgeous!

It sounds like you are on top of the water situation. I would try this for the next few weeks to see if it works.

Do small water changes every day (10 to 20%) for at least a couple of weeks. Then, you can start doing them every other day until he gets better. These small changes really don't take a lot of effort. You can use a cup and a bucket, and it won't take a lot of time. Continue to check your water parameters to make sure everything is ok. Continue to monitor his temp. Keeping him warm is also necessary. I try to keep my betta ,babies at 80 degrees, or even a little higher. You can actually go as high as 83 degrees and it won't hurt the fish. Just keep the temp constant.

Add a good sized piece of Indian almond leaf to the tank. The more tannins, the better, when you are fighting fin rot (or any other fish disease/illness).

If you can, get some Seachem Stressguard. This is a fish antiseptic and actually acts like a liquid bandage. I use it with every water change on my betta tanks.

If you don't see new fin growth in the next couple of weeks, then I would suggest getting some Seachem Paraguard. That is what I use for persistent fin rot. If you can't get that, then you might want to try API General Cure. I prefer the liquid medication, like Paraguard, over the powdered stuff.

I only use the medicine as a last resort. If you honestly stick to the regimen I've suggested, you should see the fin rot subside.

Another note....realize that when his fins start to grow back, they may not look like they did before. Sometimes they are translucent. Sometimes they curl.

I hope this helps!
Thank you so much! His bucket I use for water changes holds three gallons anyways so that should work well. Just to be clear, I should still try to go for the more natural approach and use tannins and water changes, and not use aquarium salt right? I don’t know any local places that carry Indian almond leaves, so do you have any recommendations of where/who to get them from online? Also, if I get the stress guard, would I just add it to his prepared water every time until he’s healed? And yes! I’m aware the fins definitely don’t look the same when they grow back, his fins are already curled from previous times of his fins growing back. Thank you so much again!

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
05Apollo said:
Thank you so much! His bucket I use for water changes holds three gallons anyways so that should work well. Just to be clear, I should still try to go for the more natural approach and use tannins and water changes, and not use aquarium salt right? I don’t know any local places that carry Indian almond leaves, so do you have any recommendations of where/who to get them from online? Also, if I get the stress guard, would I just add it to his prepared water every time until he’s healed? And yes! I’m aware the fins definitely don’t look the same when they grow back, his fins are already curled from previous times of his fins growing back. Thank you so much again!
Hi,

Yes, try the natural approach first. And yes, don't use the aquarium salt if you are trying for water changes and IAL. I get my Indian almond leaves through amazon. There are a few places that sell it through them. I also get my meds from them, too. You will find the stress guard there as well as the Paraguard if you want to get some to have on hand. It's really, really good to have a decent medicine chest when you have bettas. Now that many of them are so genetically weak due to over-breeding, I make sure that I have a lot of different meds on hand.

I once used aquarium salt all of the time, but it lost it's effectiveness due to my constant use, and I lost a betta because of it. That was totally my fault. I thought that I was doing the right thing, but I was not. Now I tend to stay away from it unless the natural method doesn't work.

I use stress guard every single time I change water. I like to think that it is having a calming effect on the fish, and if there is an injury that I can't see or that I miss, that will help it. You don't really use a lot, so a bottle goes a long way!

I wish you the best of luck, and if you have more questions, please just respond!

New Threads