Betta Fin Rot Treatment

1. M

Marmed New Member Member

I recently set up an aquarium again for the first time in about 30 years! So I might as well be a newbie. Gilligan (my betta) was in a 2.5 gallon bowl while I waited for his Fluval Spec V Aquarium to cycle. He was either purchased with fin rot or developed it after being in the bowl. It had heat and a filter. I've been treating him for fin rot for over a month. I started with aquarium salt, then went to melafix, then back to aquarium salt. He has had approx 20-25% water changes every one or two days. His water parameters are good. Ph and hardness might be too high. His fin rot has never been severe. It started with a little curling, that has turned into little balls on most of his fins. During salt treatment it spread to more fins. I think it's the ventral fin, three days ago the curl was gone. Yesterday it was back again. I'm ready to go to something stronger than salt. I still have melafix, but when I realized all it was was tea tree oil I decided it probably wasn't going to help. I have ParaGuard and Furan-2. I was going to start the Furan-2 today. And I was searching for a bit of data. Here's the questions. ... the fluval has a built in filter with sponge, carbon and biomax (?) Exactly what needs to be removed while treating with Furan-2? There is a snail in the tank, does he need to be removed? Is Furan-2 safe? I've seen conflicting directions, should I follow what's on the box? There are only 5 lines of directions on the box! Ok, last one for now, would you try the ParaGuard first? Thanks to all of you who read this far and for any help!

2. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Personally the best way to fix fin rot is to do water changes more frequently and to use API stress coat to help rebuild the slim coat. my guppies from time to time have small fin rot but when I do my weekly 50% water change I dose with API stress coat and notice a difference.

3. OP
    OP
    M

Marmed New Member Member

Wouldn't stress coat be for after he starts healing? Maybe I should have been more specific about the water changes. It is a 5 gallon tank. I almost always change out 2 gallons. In the last 3 weeks, I have done a water change 18 times. Today he looks about as bad as he ever has. I don't feel like the salt or water changes are helping him. Since he has continued to get worse, would stress coat be enough? I have tried taking pictures but, the lighting in here is awful... Or, I am just an awful photographer. BTW... every time I do a water change his bubble nest is ruined. Every night he is back rebuilding it. I am assuming that means he is happy and at least somewhat healthy. :-/ I'm the one who is stressed - except when I do the water changes, then we both are.

4. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately I would like to see the betta first before I would agree that treating finrot with an antibiotic is appropriate. It has to be very serious fin rot.

And even if it is, I would first do my usual betta revive dance if it's the sort of fin rot that needs medication.

If your betta isn't improving after all those treatments, it's very likely that he keeps tearing his fins on decor, and bacteria in the gravel keeps reinfecting his wounds with more fin rot, and movement keeps aggravating it.

You need a heated 0.5-1 gallon tank with zero decor and gravel, 1 betta hammock, and a heater.
    You will put him at 1tsp of salt per gallon, and betta revive for 1 week.
    Do daily 50% water changes, replacing the amount of salt and Betta Revive that you took out each time.
    After that, you will start doing your daily WC with clean water, and keep him in there for at least 3 weeks total.

You should see new growth on day 4.
    After you are successful, you will need to reevaluate your main tank and make appropriate adjustments to avoid repeating recurrence.

Only if that doesn't work would I turn to antibiotics, and even then it won't be Furan. The only exception to that is if he's missing 60% of his fins - but from your post it doesn't seem to be the case.

If he isn't healing with regular treatment, there is an underlying problem with your tank that I would take a look at if I were you.

Edit: bonus points for Stress Coat+ and Almond leaves. Extra points for protein-only diet like frozen worms.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Marmed New Member Member

Thank you. I have been researching what to do for him for some time. I heard of revive for the first time today. I just added an almond leaf hammock 2 days ago. I have had some problems regulating heat in my apartment. His 2.5 gallon bowl had some real heating issues, I don't even know how I would heat something smaller. The 5 gallon is stable. If I move him back into the bowl I am worried about the stability of the temp. Can you recommend the revive if he is treated in his aquarium? I can remove the gravel. There are no sharp objects in there, but the minimal items can be removed. I would need to know what to do about the fluval filter system and the snail. I can not get a good picture. I am uploading this one because it shows the fin damage. Absolutely not my photography skills!

Attached Files:

6. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

All of that is beside the point; he should be in a small space so his movement is restricted as he heals. The very empty hospital tank is so that no bacteria can be trapped in it. You will run up 30$ in betta revive alone if you do it in your 5g.

edit: beautiful blurry boy! Not nearly enough reasons to treat with antibiotics.

Bowls are awful, even as hospital tanks.

If heating is your issue, you can leave the heater in your main tank and suspend the 0.5g to 1g hospital tank in your main tank. That way the temp inside the hospital tank will be the same as your 5g which you say you have no problem controlling. I mean, do it or not, but there is obviously a problem with the way you've been treating, maybe the fin rot is too aggressive or some other reason it isn't working - and a tiny hospital tank is a way to solve that problem.

I'm attaching a million dollar masterpiece to help explain the set up I'm describing.

Attached Files:

• Betta Fin Rot Treatment
      aq.png
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
  7. OP
    OP
    M

Marmed New Member Member

I am surprised at myself. Old age??? Anyway, I just bought one of those things for him a week or 2 ago! I used it once when I did an 80% change and then forgot all about it. OK, so now I just have to wait for Amazon to deliver the revive.

8. OP
    OP
    M

Marmed New Member Member

Gilligan started his betta revive today. It was very stressful for him. I've been watching him closely. Temp is good. I plan to feed him before the water change tomorrow. Do you have any advice? I gave him just a dab tonight, because he didn't get that much this morning and I wanted to give him the food soaked in vitachem. Do you think that's a good idea? Also, I forgot to add the salt, which is odd, he's had salt everyday for over a month. He's lethargic and he kept spitting the food out. I wondered if the revive made it taste funny. It's bed time. I'll be worried about what I find in the morning.

9. OP
    OP
    M

Marmed New Member Member

Tuesday was uneventful. Totally. No change at all, still spitting out food, fins look the same.
    Wednesday, he ate! He ate pellets though because he didn't eat his blood worms the last 2 days. He still doesn't look any different. He keeps swimming up to the walls, frequently pushing his nose against the corners. He really wants out. 3rd treatment will be about noon. It's looks like he'll be getting the full 7 days. And then another 2 weeks in the 1/2 g?

10. OP
    OP
    M

Marmed New Member Member

OK, he has been in a 1/2 gal, I think it is called a dip and pour, for 7 days. 100% water was changed every day, 4 drops of Revive and Prime were added. Here is the picture from this morning. There is no improvement at all. If anything he is a little worse. I decided to attach 2 pictures. July 18th is when I started looking for help (It is the top pic). I am sorry about the picture quality. I have tried everything I can think of and I haven't been able to get a nice picture. His coloring is a cross between these 2, closer to the older one. Instructions say to keep him in the 1/2 g for another 2 weeks. I am thinking about waiting 3 days and then starting Seachem Paraguard. Are there any comments about that? The dip and pour has been in his aquarium and the temp stayed very stable. I checked the aquarium's parameters yesterday and everything is right on. I don't know whether to put him back yet. I'm looking for some advice. Also, this is fin rot right!? I can't find any other thing it might be. But, I have not seen any pictures that look like his. Those aren't tears. They are actually little balls, where his fins have curled. betta with nest.jpg gilligan8-21.jpg

11. MelissaClause

MelissaClause New Member Member

Hi there @tunafax! I don't want to hijack this thread, but you seem very knowledgeable and I would be so grateful if you would maybe have a look at the last post in this thread I started about a month ago:

Another Possible Fin Rot Post.

I'm completely new to this whole fishkeeping thing, and I'm concerned that my betta might have fin rot. He looks really rough. The original consensus in that thread was that he didn't seem to have fin rot, but he has since suffered a trauma to his ventral caudal fin. He lost a giant chunk of his tail right up to his body, I saw it lying on the bottom of his tank after I added an anubias plant and nerite snail and moved his filter and tank decorations around.

I know his fins are super curly, which I guess can happen in hard water? Also, I believe he's a crowntail, so it can be hard to tell how much his inconsistent fin tips are damaged, suffering from rot, or just the way he is.

If you're interested, here's a video I took yesterday of him flaring at his reflection and swimming around. If you watch in HD you can get a pretty good look at his fins and tail. He looks as rough as ever and I'm worried.

I hope you don't mind my asking for help. I want to do right by Gulliver! :(

Edit: I also got complacent and turned his filter up shortly before I saw he had lost part of his tail. He had never seemed to have an issue with it before so I thought it would be fine. I've turned it back down now, but I think it is possible the tail damage is because of the filter.