5 Gallon Tank Betta fin rot or tail biting?

Mhamilton0911

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge filter, pre cycled from main aquarium.
Does it have a heater? yes, adjustable
What is the water temperature? 80f
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Betta, 1 amano shrimp, few small ramshorns.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Usually weekly, but right now twice a week.
How much of the water do you change? Usually 1 gallon, but right now I've increased to 2 gallons each time.
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum everytime.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Pre-cycled filter, wood and plants from established main tanks, just new sand and new betta. Instant cycle. Verified by testing.
What do you use to test the water? API master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5ppm (5ish before waterchange, and barely detectable after.
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Usually twice, if its dry foods. once if its frozen
How much do you feed your fish? Target fed only, no waste, depends on food type. If its the larger pellets, 3 or 4, if its smaller ones, a tiny pinch, if its frozen, a few pieces.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Dry is hikari and bug bites
Do you feed frozen? Yes, he gets frozen just like all other tanks, thawed in a shotglass of purified RO water, given by medicine dropper, and I rotate between mysis and brine shrimp. Target fed only a few shrimp each time. I'm training him to take it from the dropper. HE LOVES THE FROZEN!!!
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
almost 4 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fins are getting frayed
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Fresh water and Indian almond leaves
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Kind of... he's always struggled to swim. Right from the first day with me. He swims in short bursts. Now his tail is definitely deteriorating.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

Ok. This buddy was a Petco purchase. At the time of purchase, he was active in the cup, curious, healthy looking. Clear water, clear eyes. I thought I lucked out. I picked him for his mustard gas colors, not his tail type. He was labeled "Bumblebee" whatever that is. I posted pics to ID his tail type, and the consensus was he was a Rose tail. Not the best news as I have heard the swimming difficulty and other related issued with the long heavy tail. I keep IAL in there at all times because I like the tint and hoped for other benefits. He's always active, greets me when I sit, his tank's on my desk. Makes bubble nests every time I wreck them changing water. I thought his fins just barely had some fraying a couple weeks ago, so I upped the water changes. BUT I also started frozen foods. He loves it, but I'm worried he's too enthusiastic about it and mad that he's so slow. If he thinks I have food he tries so hard to make a mad dash to the front top where I feed, but he swims in short bursts. Always has. So far I have done no actual treatment, other than more frequent water changes. If this is indeed biting behavior, is there anything I can do, should I stop frozen foods since it makes him a lil crazy? Or is this more fin rot, even though it's deteriorated more since I started more frequent water changes. I also wanted to add that I have never seen him flare. I have not tried to either, I'm worried that he'd tear a fin.

Added before and after pictures, and i'm trying to get a video uploaded so you can see the swimming and see the fins better.

Attachments

• 20210522_123254_035_saved~2.jpg
    20210522_123254_035_saved~2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210723_110444_Moment.jpg
    20210723_110444_Moment.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 25

BigManAquatics

Could be both, really. Biting fins can lead to fin rot. Maybe try some stressguard or something too instead of your usual dechlorinator. Can help promote healing and regrowth.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LGlassie
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
SurferGirl
Replies