Betta Fin Rot Help!

Tofu&Soba

Reaction score
I need some help! Im like 98% positive my betta has fin rot. I’ve quarantined him into a smaller (2.5 gal) tank and I’ve been changing his water 100% daily and have been treating it with aquarium salt like my LFS told me too but it doesn’t seem to be helping at all! I have been doing this for about 10 days (12 total, but I missed 2 days due to hectic schedule and I feel horrible about it ) He’s definitely more active (he was just hiding in his hut for days, without eating) he’s swimming around more and eating but his tail is still getting smaller. Any and all advice is welcome and much appreciated!! I have added a before picture from the day I got him which was about 3/3.5 months ago, one of when I first noticed it and a picture I just took a few minutes ago.
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3439.JPG
IMG_3438.JPG

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there,

Does his main tank already have fish is it? Or why are you quarantining him in that tank?
I’m assuming the tank was not cycled?
I’d advise against the 100% water changes. They are unnecessary, Simply doing 50% water changes using a good water change like Prime, that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Continue doing daily water changes but lower the amount as it causes too big of a change and can shock the fish. This will also help with the fin rot-which looks like he has pretty bad. No need to worry, it’s an easy fix. Also, stop using aquarium salt. It’s a freshwatet tank, not a saltwater. It’s pointless and unhealthy for freshwater fish to live in water with salt. It’s usually only used for salt dips but even for that I wouldn’t use aquarium salt. That’s a different topic.
I’d also recommend to invest in a liquid test kit. To check when the tank is cycled, usually smaller tanks are harder to balance but it’s possible. When you see that his fins are better and his parameters are stable, do weekly water changes instead. Then when you get the hang of it immediately purchase a bigger tank. IMO 2.5 is too small for a betta.

Tofu&Soba

Reaction score
Thank you! I was so worried because of how bad it looked. I love my little guy and want to make sure he makes it! He is normally in a 5.5 gal tank and it’s just him. The tank was cycled before we got him. The 2.5 is just to QT him since my lfs said to treat with aq salt. So does this mean I can move him back to his main tank? I have test strips, is that what you mean? Ive been using tetra easystrips 6-in-1 and the ammonia ones and everything always comes back normal. I’ll run out and buy some prime today!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi there, first off, I agree with not using salt, but only for bettas. Bettas are sensitive, but it can be helpful in times of disease for other freshwater fish. Also, the strips are known for being in accurate, but if it's what you have we can just roll with it
Mainly because 50% water changes will keep the water perfectly pristine.
Try doing the water changes for a week or two, but if he continues to worsen and you feel uncomfortable just doing that, you can try using erytheomycin or I can help you with instructions on a methylene blue bath. Some also recommend kanaplex, but personally I haven't had success. These meds should be used only if the water changes don't help.
This fin rot actually isn't that bad, you have time to fix it, don't worry so much.

Tofu&Soba

Reaction score
Ok! I'll set his main tank back up tonight and switch him over to it. I've got Seachem Prime on my list to grab today, should I worry about the filter I currently have? From my understanding, fin rot is caused by bacteria, but I haven't ran across anything stating to get a new filter? Also, what type of test kits should I be looking for? Sorry, I'm new to fish keeping and just want to make sure I do everything correctly.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don't worry about getting a new filter. In fact, it would probably make things worse. The bacteria housed in the filter is actually very good for the betta. Please read up on the nitrogen cycle it really is crucial to fish keeping. Bacteria is always present in an aquarium, and fish get sick when they get stressed. Since you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, I'm willing to bet it was stress brought on by either ammonia or nitrite poisoning. The good news is that these are easy to fix.
You'll want to look for the API freswhwater master test kit. It's pretty expensive, but it'll last a few years

Tofu&Soba

Reaction score
Thank you Rtessy! I'll check today and grab one if they have it. I appreciate all the help and guidance. I'll keep you updated in case we need to discuss further treatment

Tofu&Soba

Reaction score
Rtessy, just wanted to thank you again! It’s been two weeks and tofus’ tail is almost back to normal! I really can’t thank you enough for your advice and consideration! It makes me so happy to see my little guy swimming around his tank!
Image1528583096.164217.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom