Betta Fin Rot, Biting, Or Mechanical Tearing???

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by ConfusedKitsune, Jan 14, 2018.

1. ConfusedKitsune

ConfusedKitsuneNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Been fighting with this fin for weeks, treated it with tetracycline, am now using neomycin and BettaFix. I took out my pagoda decoration in case the slight seem on that was tearing the fin.
    The first picture was from 1/6/18 the second from 1/14/18.
    As of yesterday night, the fin looked slightly worse than the first picture but seemed to be improving. I'm not sure how it is deteriorating so fast.
    Water quality is fine despite some plant detritus getting kicked up when I change the water. The only change since yesterday was I took out a bag of activated carbon I was using to clean up the medicine from the water.
    I'm using a plant growing out the top as an aquaponics system to balance the nitrates. Approximate water quality using API Test Strips is GH 30 ppm, KH 40-80 ppm, pH 7.0, NO2- 0.5 ppm, NO3- 0 ppm.
    unnamed (1).unnamed.

I should clarify the fish in question is a betta and the Neomycin / Methylene blue, is from Betta Revive... at least I think that's what's in there

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2018
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,984
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to Fishlore, hope our members can help you today

3. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +256
    Experience:
    5 years
    What is the size of your tank and can you get a clearer picture? Also I recommend a liquid test kit to test ammonia, I also don’t think your completely cycled bc you have nitrites

4. OP
    OP
    ConfusedKitsune

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Here is a picture of my tank and everything I am using. The current lid is a rag held down with binder clips due to my worry that the plant I was growing from the top might have been contributing to the issue. Currently, I am no longer using the Zym Bac and or the T.C. Tetracycline (used for the 4-day max followed by a complete water change). The blue coloration of the Methyl blue is clearing up pretty quickly making me think it is reacting with one of the other water additives. Yes, the tank is small, a 1 gallon; included are a very limited bubbler, 2 marimo moss balls, a heater, a pagoda, and a live anubias. I may try reintroducing another plant at the top in order for it to act as a nitrate filter as well as possibly helping the tank cycle. My profile has been updated with all of my tank details. Photos as of 1/18/2017
    unnamed (1).unnamed.

5. Skye_marilyn

Ratings:
    +256
    Experience:
    5 years
    First do a couple of 25-50% water changes. Then buy some pyrogens filter media and bury it in your substrate, run an air stone as well to aid in filtration. This is like a diy filter for tanks under 2 gallons in order to rid meds in the water. Once you’ve had that going for a few hours, take out the purigen filter media and start medicating with trimethoprim. He has tail rot not tail biting and this is caused by an uncycled tank, making him more prone to Aeromonas. The best thing you can do going forward is get a larger tank and cycle it.

6. Skye_marilyn

Ratings:
    +256
    Experience:
    5 years
    If he is bleeding don’t proceed to medicate as trimethoprim can be harsh on red blood cell count. This med will also kill nitrifying bacteria although this is not an issue since you aren’t cycled...

7. OP
    OP
    ConfusedKitsune

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you. I will try finding and introducing some filter media. I have a feeling when I completely cleaned the tank after using the tetracycline I destroyed the bacterial ecosystem and uncycled the tank. I should have done partial water changes, but the tetracycline had attacked a metal loop I was using to hold some activated carbon in place. This discolored the water and possibly introduced toxins so I completely cleaned everything. In retrospect, I should have just changed the water, not rinsed everything off including the gravel.

8. OP
    OP
    ConfusedKitsune

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Today is the last day of my daily water changes and Betta Revive / BettaFix treatments. Betta Revive recommends a maximum treatment length of a week. I'm going to wait three days and do a 50% water change to remove the medicine and aquarium salt. I have started using catappa leaves in the hope they will help promote the cycling of the tank. I have noticed an increase in nitrates so I plan to soon reintroduce the plant on top to act as a nitrate absorber. I'm going to include some update pictures of the fins taken today (1/24/18) in the hopes someone can tell me whether the fin rot is in remission or if I need to continue along another route of treatment. Thank you for any input
    unnamed.unnamed (1).