Betta Fin Problem, Help :(!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Preacher, Apr 17, 2017.

1. PreacherNew MemberMember

Hey guys, I had to make an account here because I really need help with my warrior. I had him in a 10 gallon tank along with a few neon tetras and introduced few red eye tetras. After the introduction 2 weeks ago, I noticed that my betta's fin started having splits. Not tear, but clear splits. I looked online and I believe it was due to him flaring his fins a little too much. I then took him out last week, placed him in a small quarantine tank. His splits have been healing pretty well, however today I noticed a new issue. His upper fin seems tethered on its edges. Could it be from him biting on them? Or worse, fin rot? Thanks! ink2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

He could be biting them. I don't detect fin rot, so thats not a problem.

I would like to know what decor you have in there now?

I couldn't imagine the flaring alone would cause any splits and is actually healthy to an extent. I would worry more that the other fish he was with were nipping at his fins. As far as his upper fin seeming tethered, sometimes that's just his fin shape. Mine for example is a halfmoon but you can see in my profile pic his upper fin looks "tethered" more similar to how CT (crown tail) Bettas are.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  3. PreacherNew MemberMember

The only decor in there is a small live plant

The neons are peaceful and they mind their own business, so i doubt they contributed to the split. The fin tether occurred after I removed him to the quarantine tank a week ago. It wasn't there at all until today, so could it still be just his fin shape?

The only deco in there now is a small live plant

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  4. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

It's hard to say from the pics but it appears natural from what I can see. I rescued my halfmoon Phil from Petsmart because he had a pretty bad case of fin rot. The whole outer edges of his fins were black and flaking off in fairly large pieces and I'm just not seeing that on yours, but yours being so dark I could see how it would be hard to see. Best thing you can do is just keep him in pristine water and make sure he can't stag his fins on any decor. If your certain the water is good, he doesn't have fin rot, and the other fish aren't nipping and he's still loosing pieces of his fins then it's very possible he's doing it to himself.

5. PreacherNew MemberMember

That's true! I have been changing the water in his quarantine tank every day for the past week, so water quality is kept pristine I believe. What's very likely now is that he has bitten them on his own. Do I have to do anything else or simply maintain keeping him in under quarantine and doing daily water changes while letting his fin heal?

6. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Here's a before and after of mine with fin rot. You can see in the first the edges are black and fraying. After about a month at home with me his fins have started growing back nicely and he has much more color. He would not have survived much longer at Petsmart in that lame cup I believe.

IMG_1456.JPGIMG_1769.JPG

7. PreacherNew MemberMember

He's beautiful! I'll keep a close eye and try to detect any darkness on his fin. Thank you :)

8. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Once he's growing new fin and you place him back home with the neons, monitor him for any new fin loss. If there is, then it's definitely something in the community tank (decor, other fish, or water conditions) that is causing it.

Thanks! He's my first fish and thanks to this forum (and patience) he's coming along nicely. Barely looks like the same Betta I found struggling at Petsmart.

9. PreacherNew MemberMember

Will do, generally how long would the regrowth take?

10. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Kind of depends on how much he's lost. It's hard for me to say, because mine had already lost quite a bit when I found him so I'm not sure how grown out it will be when he's completely healthy. It took about a week after the fin rot was gone for me to notice new growth. Now, it's been over a month since the fin rot subsided and he's still got new growth filling in the missing pieces, but his case was pretty bad.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  11. PreacherNew MemberMember

Ah I see, I'm glad he's recovering really well. Patience and close vigilance is the best method I believe. I'll also remove the tiny plant in his quarantine tank to better the situation.

12. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

After pulling up those two pics for you I'm actually shocked at his progress. I didn't notice the change so much on a daily basis but if you compare him a month ago to now it's pretty dramatic.

Good luck!

13. PreacherNew MemberMember

Exactly! Key to it all is patience :) I'll update you on my betta's progress, thank you very much for your reply and help!