Betta Fin Nipping

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bellestar3, Jun 15, 2018.

1. bellestar3

bellestar3New MemberMember

I have a guy with some pretty shredded fins and don't know what the issue is. He's in a heated (80 degrees) 5.5 gallon. Parameters are perfect. All plants are silk. I've checked all the decor, he has plenty of hides. The filter is so slow, there's always biofilm. I've kept his light off. I use stress coat and I've recently added IAL. I don't know what else to do. In a FB group it was suggested if it was stress related, he might do better in a smaller tank. I wanted to see what other's experiences were. He's a pretty tail heavy guy. I'm just at a loss. I've never seen him nip, but if he does, his tail always seems worse in the morning.

Attached Files:

2. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

What about the intake of the filter

3. OP
    OP
    bellestar3

I don't feel any suction at all when I put my hand on it, but I could see if I could find a sponge to go around it.

4. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

If it's not the fin nipping could be of stress

5. OP
    OP
    bellestar3

That's what I figured, but I don't know what is stressing him out. Someone suggested the size of his tank and he might feel better in something smaller.

6. Lagertha

LagerthaValued MemberMember

My Betta is in the exact same position and I have no idea what’s going on.

Mines in a 2.5 gallon so I don’t know about putting your guy in a smaller tank because mines in the bare minimum and he’s still ending up like yours.

I sympathise with you!

7. Rohit mess

Rohit messValued MemberMember

Tank size is not the issue. I have mine in 10gallon.
    There is a possibility that the betta chews them off. They do it when their tail feels too heavy. I have came across few article on fishlore where people witnessed betta eating his own extra long fins.
    This is one reason why i like plakats and snakeheads more than the fancy long fins one!

8. GreekGills

GreekGillsValued MemberMember

The fact is, these fish have been bred so much to achieve long,flowing fins. Unfortunately this makes them heavier, making it more difficult to swim and maneuver. They will literally chew their fins to take weight off.

9. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Is he showing any other signs of stress? Hubby says he is heavily finned. As beautiful as the are it’s just not easy for them to get around. And please please don’t put him in a smaller tank. Does he have something near the top to rest on? Floating log, hammock?

10. tetratetris

tetratetrisValued MemberMember

Fin rotttt...???

11. Lagertha

LagerthaValued MemberMember

OP says the water is good. Plus she says it’s worse every morning, fin rot does not progress that fast as far as I’m aware.

12. tetratetris

Ok

hmmmmm

13. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

We need readings for your water parameters, you cannot just say they “are perfect.” Unfortunately a lot of people here use that as a cop out and actually never test their water (I’m not saying you are, but water params are the first step in solving an issue). Would you be able to tell us what your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are?

14. tetratetris

Was thinking the same thing

Thats one of my reasons

15. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Fin rot usually progresses quickly if the water quality isn’t up to par, which is typically the reason for fin rot all together. I wouldn’t move him to a smaller tank because smaller tanks are harder to maintain and harder to keep the water where it should be. It may also stress him out too much to move him. I would keep up with frequent water changes in his 5.5 gallon and if that doesn’t do the trick, I would start treating him with an antibacterial medication. Something with Tetracycline would be the way to go because it treats both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, whereas other medications only treat one or the other and it’s impossible to tell which bacteria is effecting your fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice