Betta Fin Nipping How To Spot And Help Them Stop

AlpineTheBetta

Good evening all,

My copper betta started fin nipping. The cause was an airstone and a big almond lesf folded in half that he likes to use as a sleeping bag that I put in recently. Thing is, as he swims around the airstone in circle playing with the current he saw his tail and started to attack it. Same as the fish " sleeping bag", sometimes seimming inside it or curled up in a U shape he saw his tail and would attack it. I talked to two breeders and confirmedmy suspicion-- bettas are territorial and seeing their own tail they mistake it for another betta and attack it.

Breedes also tell me stress can make bettas nip their fin. His sleeping bag is a safe haven, so when I shine a flashlight at him to inspect his injury( and this fish hates flashlight) he went to the sleeping bag, swam around like fish on crack in circle inside of it and bit his own tail.

Also, being hungry can make them do that. This is according to the breeders as well.

So the lesson here : any decoration that encourages your betta to swim in tight circle, anything that stresses him out ( whatever it is for your betta because they are all different) or underfeeding can cause your betta to fin nip. Hopefully if your betta starts to bite his tail addressing these can help you.

I know for sure because I saw it! I mean, he bit his tail, then with a piece of the tail in his mouth he happened to stick his face outside the sleeping bag. Yes, I saw my betta, with large chunk of tail ( rays and all) in his mouth, and he chewed it up and ate it!!! Right before my eyes!!!!

I also note that his poop takes on a tint of his fin color during the fin biting episode! Really, if you want to confirm whether he fin nips or aggressive bacteria is eating his tail, looking at his poop can help you determine that,

Anyways the sleeping bag leaf and airstone was promptly removed. Flashlight use was limited and I tried to be as sneaky as possible -- shining it into his tail and not his face while he is not lookin. No more tail goes missing and poop now returns to normal brown not dark gray with shiny purple veins!!!

But still -Now we have fin injury to deal with. Terribly ragged fin..(

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you, we have lots of betta keepers so hopefully they’ll be able to help you today.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gourami36
Replies
Views
clovervalley
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views