Betta Fin Discoloration

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bakpau, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bakpau

bakpau Valued Member Member

Hi, ive had my betta for 5 months now, and i just began noticing fin discoloration these past few days.
    Im currently doing daily partial water change (and dosing it with Prime) to help healing his fin bite.

This is his before picture:
    [​IMG]

And this is the after picture, the discoloration is circled.
    [​IMG]

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Was this fish an adult when you bought it? either age, diet, or internal parasites could be factors. What do you feed the fish? Tempature it's kept at? Has anything in the tank changed? It's a lot of questions, but it's
    Important that we get details to access the situation

3. OP
    OP
    bakpau

Yes the betta was already an adult when i first bought him.
    I feed him pellets (tetra bits complete),and mosquito larvae once a week.
    Temperature is 30celcius, is it too warm? Its from my tap.
    I havent changed much except i removed my asian pennywort last week, as i suspected it made my betta fin itchy/ uncomfortable, and hence, fin bite
    Also, he still swims normally and active, appetite is also normal.

4. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Could be age. I know this may sound strange but maybe you bought an older betta, as Bettas age they loose coloration. 30c is a fine tempature. No odd waste right? It's not clear or stringy?

5. OP
    OP
    bakpau

Poo is normal. But i bought him straight from a local breeder, I doubt they sell old bettas.

6. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

It could be because of age. What are your water parameters?

7. OP
    OP
    bakpau

I dont have a test kit, but planning to buy soon. Does food play a role in fin discoloration?

8. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

I'm no expert but I don't think food would make a difference. I hate to bother you but @CindiL any opinions?

9. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

If he's a fin biter he could have bitten it and it's repairing itself. New fin growth is clear. Or could it be possible he snagged it on something in the tank?

10. OP
    OP
    bakpau

He bit his dorsal & caudal fins only, and they are now regrowing with clear color on the edges.
    However he didnt bite his anal fin nor snagged anything, otherwise i wouldve noticed the torn fins. He was fine until a few days ago i noticed the discoloration.

11. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Do you have live plants or are there plastic plants as well? If plastic you can look for sharp edges.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice