Betta Fin Damage

1. son Initiate Member

Hi,
    My male Betta has injured himself. It looks like he has damage on the base of his dorsal fin. It is possible that the injury might be infected(it appears white in colour). Also one or two if his dorsal fin veins has turned white. Any suggestions as to what antibiotic I should use (there are so many)?
    Thanks

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm so sorry your betta has tail damage.
    Is he in the 5g?
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    What size tank is he in?
    Any tank mates? If so how many and what kind?

Can you post a pick? It will help members give better suggestions on how to treat him.

Sorry for all the questions, if you could update your aqaurium info it would be helpful.
    Best of luck. :)

3. son Initiate Member

Hi,
    He is in a 5g tank, We pulled him out as soon as we spotted the damage. NH3 zero, NO2 was a little high. We torn down his 5 g tank and did a complete water change. No tank mates. Pics below.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

That does look like quite an injury! Is he back in the 5g now?

I bought a little guy last week with finrot and am slowly bringing him back to health. What I've learned so far is to perform frequent water changes, keep the temperature warm (and consistent!) and use supplements such as VitaChem and garlic to boost their immune system and ability to regenerate the lost fin.

I use VitaChem with every waterchange (in addition to StressCoat+) and garlic is a new addition to my regimen. Others on here will have more advice and they know what they are doing! They teach me so much every day!

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh, poor little guy. Any chance he's hurt himself on a decoration?
    Bettas can snag their fins on sharp edges. You can test them by running a stocking over them, if they snack the stocking they can snag his fins.
    Nitrites are toxic to your fish and can cause their fins to become infected.

uprightandlocked gave good advice, also keep his water warm and pristine.
    If it looks to be getting worse you can use Maracyn and Maracyn-Two for infections.

6. son Initiate Member

He is back in his 5g tank. I think that he may have tried to tunnel under a cave (tube) ornament and got caught. Thank you all for the advice. I will keep you posted.

7. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Hmm, sounds like something my nosy little boys would do, wish you all the best. He should be back on form soon, they are quite good little fish for that, I had a scare before and before I knew it, back to normal.
    Definitely recommend Vita-Chem, it works quickly. I add 1 or 2 drops each day (just a teeny amount) if they have fin damage-thanks to Shawnie who thought I should try that, if not, once a week as the bottle says with water changes. Works a treat!

8. son Initiate Member

Thanks, I will give it a try. We are getting concerned because this is the second day that he has refused to eat. :-[ He either lays on the ground or floats at the top. How long can he last without eating?

9. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

If he isn't eating I definitely recommend using garlic juice. It helps to stimulate his appetite. You can either add a small amount to your tank directly or soak his food in it before feeding him.

10. son Initiate Member

My guy is doing better. He is much more active and is eating (like a pig) again. A guy on a UK betta site suggested pretty strongly that the problem was Columnaris. Any feedback from the group would be appreciated

11. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I'm glad he's improving. Silly little man, they can get themselves into tight spots with their curious nature. Hope he doesn't get another idea like that one! :)