Betta Fin Biting?

Aquariumlover1357

I've posted a thread about my betta fish having fin rot a couple of weeks ago, and after I added Indian Almond Leaves, he seemed better. Now, it's started again (like, not fin rot, but tears in his fins)
Here's the entire process of my betta's treatments.(sry it's really long):

6/14: I got him from Petsmart, he is a veiltail male. He seemed fine, but I didn't really check his fins much. He lives in a medium planted 5.5 with 2 adfs
6/20: First realised his fins seemed to have small tears. (These were not his doing, I could tell) First thought of the pet store and that he might've gotten it there (with the horrible conditions)
6/21-30 ish: Bought aquarium salt and did his first treatment. Everything was fine for a few days, and his rips were almost all sealed over. There were no black edges anymore
7/4-5 ish: Saw fin rot start again. This time, there were 2 little holes but not many tears.Checked everything in the tank since it seemed to be like a 3-yr old cut 1-2 mm of his fins with scissors. Found some sharp plastic plants on the centerpiece (this rock type decoration with the plants glued on it) Tore these off. Started salt treatment again.
7/12 ish: Stopped treatment, fins were healed again. This time, I kept a close eye. Trust me, the frogs are not the culprit. I feed them everyday ever since the betta arrived and never saw any biting of fins.
7/20: Yep. It started again. There were 6-7 long 1 cm tears. They were VERY clean. I thought: this cannot continue. So I put him in the small 1 gal quarantine tank I had with only a heater and filter (not even gravel). I wanted to see how he could possibly hurt his fin with nothing in the tank but a live plant I put in there with him from the main tank.
7/21: In the morning, he had added 4-5 tears along his caudal fin, which at that time was his longest fin and also his dorsal, which at that time was his second longest. Like right then, he looked like a crooked crowntail!
This time, got Indian almond leaves. Put them in, started salt again. :(
7/28-9: Stopped treatment., fins had pretty much all healed, though all shorter I saw that the filter flow (it was a 10 gallon filter and I had a 5.5 gal) was a tiny bit strong, so I thought why not, and stuck sponges in the outtake, and now the flow comes out the bottom of the sponges instead of shooting out. (Don't really know if it did anything, but he's definitely swimming easier.)

Now, after that, everything seem great! Until now... He's been fin biting again. I am really not 100% sure, but I know that there's absolutely no way anything besides himself can be harming him. And yes, I have seen him swimming kind of in a circular motion, trying to grab at his tail, once in his tank, but then, I'm not with him 23 hours a day, so I can't really tell.

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
pH: 7.2

All decor:

-A Zoomed floating betta log (sanded down)
-A betta leaf
-A stone mountain thingy (All the plastic plants removed)
-3 large anubias
-gravel
-cichlid rock (very smooth rock with a hole in front bigger than betta)
-filter and submersed heater (donno if it counts)

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or if there's anything I need to add/take out. All suggestions are appreciated!

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
I just added a whole mess of plants to one of my betta tanks because of this, mainly focusing on the back of the tank where i often see him flaring at his own reflection. Don't know if it will help the biting or not, but i haven't seen him flare at himself the last 2-3 days. So that may be something to try.

OP
A

Aquariumlover1357

Yes, I've been considering adding some background and foreground plants for a long time. I'll will get 2-3 more plants tomorrow. I mean, more can't hurt, right? Lol:)

FreshWaterHuman

I would recommend different types of plants. I have not experienced it my self but have read about Bettas with different personality types and some that fin bite when they are bored. You can try to spend a little bit more time with him (my Betta continuously interacts and hangs with me while I am visiting him), try to cycle some decor (he will be curious about new stuff but and you can remove it when it’s not new and put it back in after some time), try to keep the walls off the aquarium clean so he can see outside, try to put interesting stuff around his tank (paintings, toys, random stuff), even try relocating the aquarium to a new area. Keep monitoring him as you do some of these things and see if that is making a difference or not.

OP
A

Aquariumlover1357

Okay! I'll see if I could get some more decor/plants. Yeah, I have thought it might be from boredom but not really known what to do about it. Thanks for the reply!

New Threads