Betta Ferox

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Gourami Freak, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Gourami Freak

Gourami FreakNew MemberMember

Does anyone have experience with Betta Ferox or other similar wild Betta? I'm finding absolutely no information on this guy that I got today. He seems to be in good health and like his new tank, but I don't know of any good resources on how to care for him.

Currently he's alone in a 20 long with peat added to the (HOB) filter. The ph is about 6.6 and the water is full of tannins. It's about 78 degrees with very low surface current. Lightly planted with pool filter sand in the bottom.

I fed him a small amount of flake soon after I got him and he ate it pretty much immediately.

Thanks,
    I really love this little gem and would hate to mistreat him. A couple of pictures of him are attached.

Attached Files:

2. Reef Ventures

Reef VenturesValued MemberMember

Ideally wild bettas should be fed live foods or blood worms as thats what they would find in their natural home.
    This species isnt all that common so you did good to get yourself one. Your tank sounds pretty good for what they are. I dont know heaps about this complex but I know that your pH is pretty much perfect and low water flow is great. I would also recommend running very low light on the tank as they are from dark pools in their natural homes which the bright light of an aquarium can scare them. (not always but its common)

3. OP
    OP
    Gourami Freak

The light I have over it now is just a craning desk lamp. I'll see what I can acquire in the way of live/frozen food (All I have currently is flakes and freeze dried blood worms). I found out that this fish is in the Pugnax complex which brings up a bit more information. If I could ever acquire any more, I'm seeing that they are quite docile towards each other. The International Betta Congress' section on wild bettas seems like the most complete resource I've found.

4. Reef Ventures

Reef VenturesValued MemberMember

Ahh yes. Pugnax are quite peaceful. Any lighting is good but IMO low light is better for wilds

5. OP
    OP
    Gourami Freak

I ended up taping an old sunglasses lens to the lamp and using Tarp to black out the back of the tank. seems about perfect now. I also have a few pieces of driftwood on the way.

I found the holotype reference for Betta Ferox, good information to have. It took a bit of digging to get it. (What's the fun without a little research anyway) ;)

It seems that it's only been found in the Hat Yai district in Thailand. :emoji_thinking:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  6. Bailey Oswald

Bailey OswaldWell Known MemberMember

He's gorgeous! What kind of plants do you have?

7. OP
    OP
    Gourami Freak

I have some Chain-Sword, jungle vallisneria, hornwort, cryptocorne and one plant I'm not 100% sure what is. It was sold to me as cherry hedge, but I'm pretty sure its aquatic(It was inside of a tank when I bought it). My best guess is ludwigia. Either way, it looks like this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice