RichTino

Water Volume: 5 gallon
Tank Run: 3 Months
Heater : Yes
Temperature : 82
Stock : Water Lettuce

Water Changes : 2 weeks
Water Replacement : 30%
Water Treatment : Prime & 10 stones of API Aquarium Salt ( I pick them by hand out the carton instead of using a teaspoon ) and use rain water in a 1 gallon jug to replace water I take out of the tank.
Vacuum : No, there is no substrate in my tank and I syphon out any debris and waste from the water lettuces and made by my betta

Ammonia : 0.1
Nitrates : 10
Nitrites : 5
pH : 7

Feeding Times : Everyday Once A Day
Feeding Amount : 2-3 small pellets ( soaked in water for 30 mins ), 2 days out of the week freeze dried brine shrimp ( soaked in water for 5 - 10 mins ) and on weekends live food such as brine shrimp, maggots ( home fed ) and mosquito larvae
Feeding Brand : Tetra
Frozen or Freeze Dry : Yes ( only freeze dried brine shrimp )

Fish Lifespan since owned : 10 months
Symptoms Known : 9 Days Ago
Treatment Started : Yes
Explain Symptoms : Swimming to the corner of the tank gasping for air and she hasn't been eating at all ( It's day 9 )
Injured or Ill During Purchase : Nope
Behavior and Appearance Change : Yes, She been breathing very heavily and pine coning but scales are not raising. She is Cambodian but then she has been spitting out bubbles for the last few days ..

I have noticed that my Cambodian crown tail female has not been eating for the past 9 days . I have treated her to kanaplex in a hospital tank which did not help in improvement, I have given her an Epsom salt bath in a different half gallon tank also thinking she was bloated hence that one time on the second day I noticed she was not eating and looked bloated, and I thought that she was having swim bladder issues or dropsy .. The bath was 10 mins and just happened once, hence that was not the issue either .. My last and final try was placing her in a different hospital tank that had Methylene blue in it and putting her in there for about 2 hrs in which she turned pale and in an instant I realized that it wasn't an external issue either ..
Now she's in fresh clean rain filter and conditioned water .. I was doing 75% water changes about every 2 days now for 9 days and still I see no improvement .. Can someone assist me on what's going on and what else can I do ? I have had her for about 10 months and she hasn't spawn or mated with any males ... I am posting photos .. I also had to lower the water to make it easier for her to get air because I did not want to stress her out trying to stay afloat or swimming back up and down for air .. She is not responsive to anything that I do even if I twitch the water in the tank a little ..
Please help me and assist me in the diagnoses .. Thank you ..

Attachments

Fisch

Reading the parameter correctly with Ammonia and Nitrites pretty high, the tank seems to be in a cycle. Changing water all two weeks will not be enough for a Betta.
mattgirl is the cycle queen on this forum.
For now daily water changes of 50% would be my recommendation until Ammonia and Nitrites stay at 0.
Warm water (78°- 82°F), good filter, and Indian Almond leaves to provide the darker environment with relaxing, healing properties would be a good start.

jkkgron2

Fisch said:
Reading the parameter correctly with Ammonia and Nitrites pretty high, the tank seems to be in a cycle. Changing water all two weeks will not be enough for a Betta.
For now daily water changes of 50% would be my recommendation until Ammonia and Nitrites stay at 0.
Warm water (78°- 82°F), good filter, and Indian Almond leaves to provide the darker environment with relaxing, healing properties would be a good start.
Agreed! Only thing I might add is that they might want to do a 75% water change right away. Those nitrites are very very dangerous at these levels.

jkkgron2

She is probably stressed by the lack of decor too. If she’s not being bred I really would upgrade her. Because she’s a female and has shorter fins she needs atleast 5 gallons.

RichTino

Fisch said:
Sorry that was a little mistake with the Nitrites .. I meant to put it is at .5

jkkgron2

RichTino said:
Still pretty high. I don’t see a filter on that tank. Is there any?

Fisch

RichTino said:
Still too high and dangerous, so same regimen.
Was the tank ever cycled?

RichTino

jkkgron2 said:
Still pretty high. I don’t see a filter on that tank. Is there any?
This is not the original tank she was in this is one of the hospital tanks .. I don't understand how .05 is high in Nitrites ...

RichTino

jkkgron2 said:
She is probably stressed by the lack of decor too. If she’s not being bred I really would upgrade her. Because she’s a female and has shorter fins she needs atleast 5 gallons.
She was in a 5 gallon tank .. I removed her from there to the multiple hospital tanks I was treating her in ..

jkkgron2

RichTino said:
This is not the original tank she was in this is one of the hospital tanks .. I don't understand how .05 is high in Nitrites ...
.05 isn’t high but .5 is. Was it a typo?

RichTino said:
She was in a 5 gallon tank .. I removed her from there to the multiple hospital tanks I was treating her in ..
makes more sense. I think salt baths using epsom salt would be the best course of action.

RichTino

jkkgron2 said:
.05 isn’t high but .5 is. Was it a typo?

makes more sense. I think salt baths using epsom salt would be the best course of action.
Yes the .5 was a typo .. Sorry ... I don't like he Epsom salt baths because even when I keep them in for less the recommended time they die within the 2 second week and I only do it every 2 days a week with less than a teaspoon of Epsom salt.

jkkgron2

RichTino said:
Yes the .5 was a typo .. Sorry ... I don't like he Epsom salt baths because even when I keep them in for less the recommended time they die within the 2 second week and I only do it every 2 days a week with less than a teaspoon of Epsom salt.
Ok well that’s the best cure for this. Try adding some aquarium salt and do daily water changes.

RichTino

The tank was c
Fisch said:
Still too high and dangerous, so same regimen.
Was the tank ever cycled?
The tank was cycled .. I mentioned that ..

RichTino

jkkgron2 said:
Ok well that’s the best cure for this. Try adding some aquarium salt and do daily water changes.
I will do the daily water changes and add the enough aquarium salt .. But she's staying in the hospital tank ..

Top Bottom