Betta female advice

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, Bettas were the fish that I was fasinated with when I was a kid and finally I'm getting one. I'm hoping to get a male betta in the next couple of weeks and gave been doing my research on them. Whilst doing this I have seen some really pretty females and was wondering if I could put them in my community tank? I gave two juvie angels in there, would they attack/bully each other? If not I'll just have to get another tank!!

Thanks
Paul

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have two female bettas in my 55gal tank (with two female platies, a horseface loach, a featherfin catfish, an albino cory and a bristlenose pleco) and when I had a small angelfish in there, they completely ignored him (he was about the size of a half dollar...weak stock from Petsmart that didn't last long, though), even though he tried to pal around with them at times.

Most (if not all) people on here will advise against keeping a sorority. I've done it and never had a problem (my two current females are best friends). I'm not going to advise either way, just offering my experience.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks bassbonediva,

I was hoping to get two, and was hoping that in a big enough tank they would keep to themselves. Wasn't thinking of breeding just thought they'd make a lovely addition to the tank.

Thanks again

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I love my girls and they are a lot of fun (they get all excited to see me, even if it isn't feeding time). Just have a backup plan in case the girls don't get along.

I just took a look at your aquarium info, though, and the dwarf gourami being in there worries me if you get female bettas. Bettas and gouramis are related and gouramis are territorial, as are bettas. They both generally claim territory in the upper swimming region of the tank, and even in a large tank, this can be a problem. My girls are all over my 55gal and use every square centimeter of swimming space. I would hate to see your girls stray into your gouramis territory (or vice versa) and there be a nasty confrontation.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I need to update my profile, haven't been on here for a while I've renovated a kitchen and bathroom whilst trying to look after 2 kids under 4. Unfortunatly the DG passed, I thought he was doing really well. Had him for about four months he was really bright kept build nests and seemed really strong but I came down one morning and he was dead. I was absolutly gutted. In a way I hope it was the indovirous rather than anything I did.

JKfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're going to put them both in a community tank together, you might want to add about 4 females. Having 2 might potentially cause one of them to constantly pick on the other. 3 is a wierd number, apparently 2 will gang up on one, and bully her badly. So 4 is nice, because potential aggression is spread out. Of course, that'd definately be a sorority, which is fine. I know many people who have had sucessful sororites, but then again there are some that never worked out for others.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Scanlon said:
I need to update my profile, haven't been on here for a while I've renovated a kitchen and bathroom whilst trying to look after 2 kids under 4. Unfortunatly the DG passed, I thought he was doing really well. Had him for about four months he was really bright kept build nests and seemed really strong but I came down one morning and he was dead. I was absolutly gutted. In a way I hope it was the indovirous rather than anything I did.
Ok, okay! Nevermind on the DG comment, then! lol

Like JKfish said, usually aggression (if there is any) is less with the more females you have. I'm lucky that my two girls are best friends, so I don't have to worry about it (in fact, they won't tolerate any new girls). The biggest sorority I've kept was nine females in my 46gal bowfront (when it was my only tank and I didn't have any coldwater fish at all).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom