Betta Feeding-Fasting?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by BettaChuck, Apr 21, 2012.

1. BettaChuck

BettaChuck Valued Member Member

I was wondering how many of you fast your Betta one day a week? I do it on Saturdays but it's always really hard because he is begging(yeah, he's a big begger) and I feel really guilty.I understand it's good for his digestion...Speaking of which, here is how I feed him:
    Monday-Friday --> I alternate between pellets and flakes(pre-soaked flakes); I feed him twice a day 4-5 flakes or 3-4 pellets each feeding and sometimes(as in most days lol) I also give him a small piece of freeze dried schrimp or krill.
    Saturday --> Nothing
    Sunday --> Either regular food or half a pea, one quarter in the morning and one quarter in the afternoon
    The brands I use: TetraMin Granules(it's what he was being fed in the store) and Tetra Betta+ Schrimp and Krill.
    He seems to be doing good with this diet but like I said, I have doubts about fasting him one day(mostly because I feel bad for him that day). Am I doing the right thing?
    Also, I am considering introducing Bloodworms in his diet as an occasional treat, they sell them in some kind of gel...

2. S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

well, i dont have a betta, but i do fast my Ryukin 1 day a week. in fact, i feed him twice a day most days, say, monday-friday, then on saturday, ill feed frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and that day he will only eat that one time. and no food on sunday

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I fast every other day. Its helped cut down n the bloat with my female and she goes nuts if the boys get food and she doesnt, so, to prevent her from jumping divider and taking her frustrations out on them i make them fallow the same schedule. But for bettas i think its important to have at least 1 day of fasting. Just because these guys are so prone to digestion and over eating problems :p now a day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice