Betta Feeding/bloating

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by maxismatched, Apr 9, 2019.

1. maxismatchedNew MemberMember

Hi everyone.

I recently adopted a new betta fish and I’m having some trouble with feeding and bloating.

I wanted to try feeding healthier with my new betta so I purchased some frozen bloodworms. I’ve been feeding him these frozen bloodworms 1x daily for over a week now. I fasted 1 day last week. If it matters, the place he came from fed him pellets 1x a week if lucky.

I noticed he will bloat up a bit after eating even though I am only giving him 2-4 worms. He is a cellophane so it is clear to see the bloated belly. He still remains active after feeding time.

I searched the internet and now I’m confused. Many people say bloodworms alone are too much protein and fat. But people also say that if you feed bloodworms or bribe shrimp, bettas won’t want to eat pellets. I tried giving mine a single pellet and he spit it up.

Advice? Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. BettaMom98Valued MemberMember

Are you sure he’s not just getting a full belly? Bettas bellies grow when they have been fed and are processing the nutrients. Can you post photos?

3. maxismatchedNew MemberMember

B6DB7767-1392-4D38-814F-25444FC5C792.jpeg49BB9EA4-0D87-4C65-8B96-194AF5FB15B9.jpeg06BC8726-CC94-44BA-A2E4-15081B870C78.jpeg
    I am not sure at all! Here are some pictures. I fed him about 45 minutes ago now.

4. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

If he's hungry he'll eat pellets. Bettas are carnivores so they won't eat algae or vegetables. Bloodworms and brine shrimp are fine but not well balanced alone plus they don't provide enough 'roughage' for a fishes digestive tract. Betta pellets are designed to meet a Bettas nutrient needs and contain vitamins, minerals and roughage. If you want your betta to eat pellets, try fasting him for 24-48 hours then dropping a pellet in for him. He might accept it better if you 'pre-soak' it in a little tank water before feeding it to him.
    If you want to feed him just live or frozen foods, provide a wide variety of 'meat' foods for him. They can include: daphnia, mysis shrimp (provides roughage), micro worms and mini microworms, blood worms and baby brine shrimp.
    Here's an excellent site about feeding bettas:

And here's one that also lists nutrient information of some popular pellets:

You CAN overfeed a Betta. If yours looks bloated after feeding, feed him less. Some bettas will eat until all the food is gone, to the point that they become bloated and even overweight!

5. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

He definately had a big meal! Two worms are probably plenty for him. Even one worm for a meal if you want to feed him twice a day. As he grows, he may need a little more but for him to still be that big 45 minutes after eating indicates to me that he had too big a meal.

6. BettaMom98Valued MemberMember

Oh precious he’s just got a full belly.

7. maxismatchedNew MemberMember

I apologize I think i’m a little confused still. This morning my bettas stomach still looks a bit bloated to me. I am going to fast for 24 hours or so and then try a pellet.

If pellets are the most nutritionally balanced, should I feed pellets most of the week and bloodworms only sometimes? I don’t think he will eat pellets if he knows bloodworms are coming later in the week.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  8. BettaMom98Valued MemberMember

Hmm can you post a video?

9. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Lol! I know Bettas are smarter than the average fish, but I don't think he'll starve himself waiting for his occasional treats! I believe that a good quality pellet (one that doesn't contain corn, wheat or other ingredients intended as fillers that bettas can't digest anyway) is probably better, and easier for feeding a single or just a few Bettas. It provides all the nutrients they need. However, they do benefit (and LOVE) the occasional live or frozen meat treat!