Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!
A good friend of mine bought the Aqueon betta falls tank before she knew much about keeping bettas. She quickly discovered that this is not suitable to house bettas, and set up a 10 gallon divided instead. Now she has this empty betta falls tank that she has no use for. I suggested some small aquatic plants, but she opted out of that. She did, however, offer the tank to me. I thought it would look kind of cool in my kitchen with some marimo moss balls or something. But I had another thought: What about shrimp?

I have heard varying info as for the minimum tank size for shrimp; everything between a quart and 10 gallons, so I am looking for some opinions on that. I would definitely have some plants. Probably marimo moss balls, java moss, and some lucky bamboo. I would be keeping ghost shrimp, since that's really the only available species to me around here. Any opinions?

If no for the shrimp, any good nano plant ideas that would look cool? Or any kind of invert/fish that would be able to thrive and that kind of tank>

Thanks!

( link to the tank: )

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would think the shrimp would have no trouble escaping from that thing.....

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im not sure....a moss ball?
Those things are pretty small. And there really isn't any lighting for plants....so I don't think even low light plants would work in there.

edit: unless you are able to find a way to clip a light above it somehow....

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've kept shrimp in open top tanks without issues. I think you could try it, maybe with a smaller nerite in each one?

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Im not sure....a moss ball?
Those things are pretty small. And there really isn't any lighting for plants....so I don't think even low light plants would work in there.

edit: unless you are able to find a way to clip a light above it somehow....
Yeah, lighting might be a bit of a trick, but I believe my lfs sells some small clip on lights that would fit perfectly.

I've kept shrimp in open top tanks without issues. I think you could try it, maybe with a smaller nerite in each one?
They do have lids actually. I think @bizaliz3 is saying that they could be pushed through the grate where the water flows from one tank to the next. But I could be wrong. Do you agree or do you think they would be okay?

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to bump, but thought I would update this. I got the tank set up today and it looks fantastic! So far all I have are some marimo moss balls and some young plants that will be moved soon. I plan to add some java moss once I get the other plants out.

I discovered I have a light that fits quite well, but the bottom tank gets little light. So I can keep some plants that require higher amounts of light on top but only low light plants on bottom. Here are some pics.
02a46154911aa5588fa15821b0bc772b.jpg

ffb63385e698b77f8a33f0ecf98cc2a2.jpg

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why not get cherry shrimp online? They really are not that much more online then at your LFS if you shop around. Make sure your water is well established before adding shrimp thought.

Gourami Geek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@tjander @TexasDomer Where do you suggest I buy from and how much are they there? I was going to go for ghost shrimp since they are the only species readily available here. they are also only 42¢ a piece. But if you guys know of a trusted source online for cherries I would definitely got that route.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aquabid has some good option. You can also check with your local fish clubs to see if anyone breeds them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 11 73.3%

Top Bottom