Betta face turning gray

Best Answer - View lilirose's answer

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could be from stress. What bacterial infection did he have? Does he have any tank mates in his main tank?

OP
V

Vulpix89

Reaction score
julifhy said:
It could be from stress. What bacterial infection did he have? Does he have any tank mates in his main tank?
I think it is Columnaris. In the tank he lived with 3 neon Tetras one molly and one platy. I tried to treat it with api triple sulfa then with Kanaplex and furan 2 none of them worked. I am now trying aquarium salt. The tank has been set up for five months and still has not cycled yet it. He does not move much and stays at the top of his tank now.

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How old is he? A grey face is a common and normal change for an elderly Betta (more than 3 years old, in my experience). However, if you bought him within the past few months, it's very unlikely that he is more than a year old.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vulpix89 said:
I think it is Columnaris. In the tank he lived with 3 neon Tetras one molly and one platy. I tried to treat it with api triple sulfa then with Kanaplex and furan 2 none of them worked. I am now trying aquarium salt. The tank has been set up for five months and still has not cycled yet it. He does not move much and stays at the top of his tank now.
Was he in the tank for 5 months? If he was, when did you notice he was turning grey?
Did you start treating him for columnaris because he was turning grey or did he start turning grey after you started treating him?
How big his his main tank?
I also agree with lilirose. Do you know how old he is?

OP
V

Vulpix89

Reaction score
I have had him for about two years. I don’t know how old he was before that. He was definitely full grown when I got him. The Columnaris came first it is eating up his dorsal fin. The grey coloring has only appeared in the past week. Although previously he would seem dulled at night.

OP
V

Vulpix89

Reaction score
Another strange thing is that he started to stay at the top and not moving in the day. Now he just leans against his filter all day.

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the Ammonia is that high, that is definitely the cause. Is it really 25ppm? That's a TON of Ammonia, did you mean .25ppm? Which might still be the cause. Otherwise I agree with all of what the other members are saying.

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience, one can kill a Betta by using too many meds- you've tried three very strong drugs already, plus aquarium salt, all that is enough to do more harm than good- it would have stressed him greatly and weakened his immune system. Columnaris on a Betta is pretty easy to identify- it can start out looking like fin rot, but it will progress to visible white fuzzy growth and/or visible sores (not simply turning grey, but actual fuzz that sticks out and/or bright red sores on him). In late stages it will cause the gills to start to turn the gills brown/black (not grey)- at that stage there isn't much hope.

However, I haven't seen any good evidence that he actually is suffering from columnaris. A grey face is not a usual symptom. You've already blasted him with a ton of medication and you still believe he's sick. My recommendation is that you use what, in my experience, is the best treatment for a sick, stressed Betta- lots of clean (un-salted, un-medicated, de-chlorinated) water.

Try doing frequent 50% water changes in the quarantine tank- how frequent depends on the size of the tank. If it's less than five gallons do it daily. If it's 5 gallons, every other day. If it's 10 gallons or more, do 25% every other day. Try that for a week or two and see. He might improve (though nothing cures aging, if that's part of the problem- you should not expect the grey face to disappear in two weeks, if ever). If he doesn't improve, you can think about what to do next after that.

Edited to add: I think the ammonia is actually 0.25 because if it was 25 he would have died days ago, but ammonia is also very harmful and causes damage which can be permanent. This is all the more reason to treat him frequent water changes instead of meds and salt.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vulpix89 said:
I have had him for about two years. I don’t know how old he was before that. He was definitely full grown when I got him. The Columnaris came first it is eating up his dorsal fin. The grey coloring has only appeared in the past week. Although previously he would seem dulled at night.
It could be from old age or from the stress all the medications are causing him. Do you happen to have a clearer picture of his grey head? And do you have a pictures where you can see the columnaris?

OP
V

Vulpix89

Reaction score
Yes I meant .25 Also today I noticed that his scales started to poke out this morning. Could he have dropsy? Also I have been doing 50 percent water changes for the past 5 months is there anything I can do to speed up the cycling process?

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If his scales are poking out, that is called "pineconing", and is unfortunately a sign of kidney failure (which is a possible side effect of strong medications). Some people recommend euthanasia at that point. I personally do not euthanise Bettas these days after several horrifying incidents in the distant past, but that's just me. Regardless, you should be aware that he will probably not recover.

The frequency of water changes is also important- you say you've been doing 50% water changes for five months, but if you only do that once a month it wouldn't be helpful.

Adding bottled bacteria can help with starting a cycle, but sadly I don't know any cure for pineconing so it's kind of a moot point.

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry, that is severe pineconing. I have never seen a Betta recover from this, and I've kept Bettas for over 30 years. Also, now that you've posted pics of his back, I suspect that he did have columnaris (there is obvious white fuzz), but unfortunately it's too late for any treatment to help.

If there are no other fish in the quarantine tank, you might consider fishless cycling with pure ammonia after your Betta passes, though you will have to keep dosing ammonia as long as there are no fish in the tank in order to keep the cycle going.

OP
V

Vulpix89

Reaction score
He has not improved and is looking worse now. I am thinking of having to kill him but I want to make sure that there is no other way. I don’t want it to turn out that he could have survived. I tried salt and raising the temperature but it has not worked.

Attachments

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vulpix89 said:
He has not improved and is looking worse now. I am thinking of having to kill him but I want to make sure that there is no other way. I don’t want it to turn out that he could have survived. I tried salt and raising the temperature but it has not worked.
What are your current water parameters? If the tank is still not cycled, then it will be hard for him to feel better.
Unfortunately, I can’t think of anything else you could do... You’ve already tried medications, salt baths, and frequent water changes, so there’s not many options left. You said he’s not improving, but is he getting worse? Is he active or is he lethargic? The only thing I can think of are Indian almond leaves, but unfortunately I don’t think they will help much. Is he still pineconing?
If he isn’t improving and is lethargic all the time, then I think the best option would be euthanizing him :(. Clove oil is the most humane way to euthanize.

OP
V

Vulpix89

Reaction score
It is still the same. Very lethargic and now is floating on his side.

New Threads