Betta eye white spot (on both eyes)

kvnnap
Hello,

My Betta has developed a white spot on its eye. I have noticed that the betta was being attacked by my Chinese Algae Eater which I'm planning to remove once I manage to catch it. I showed this picture to the pet store and they said that it looks like an injury, but then another white spot popped up on the other eye. I don't think it is likely the betta got injured in the other eye too.

I am attaching a photo, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Betta-White-Eye.jpg
    Betta-White-Eye.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 28

Advertisement
garlicrbrian
hey! that looks like popeye judging by the fact that his eye is also looking unusually large. it could definitely be from injury caused by the chinese algae eater. they are highly aggressive fish so please do rehome it as soon as you can.
popeye is caused by an infection so the infection could have also spread to his other eye. i would recommend moving him to a quarantine tank if there are any other fish in the tank and keep the water extremely clean. kanaplex or maracyn can be used for the infection, but keep in mind popeye can be very difficult to treat. however if you caught the disease early, it shouldn’t take too long to get his eye looking normal again.
test your water parameters to make sure there’s not any other issues that could be causing this.

kvnnap
I just read about Popeye and it could be caused by plastic poisoning. I was using frozen plastic bottles to help cool down my aquarium as temperatures started soaring and it seems these could leach chemicals. I think I need to perform a large water change. Water parameters are all normal but I will perform multiple 50% water changes, a few hours apart of each other to remove any chemicals/toxins I might have introduced with plastic.

There are other fish in the tank. I do not have a quarantine tank so I will try and get one today. Will also ask the local fish store for Popeye medication as I am not sure what is the equivalent of Kanaplex or Maracyn here. Meanwhile it seems I can also try Epsom Salt.

I definitely agree about the Chinese Algae Eater. It is being very territorial and aggressive towards the other fish as well.

Many thanks for your help, will keep posting updates.

kvnnap
Hello, sorry for posting so late, has been a hectic week. Here's some updates:

1) Managed to catch the Algae Eater and finally rehome it.
2) The local fish store recommended some medicine for Popeye, called Haquoss H9, along with raising and keeping the water temperature at 28C/82.4F during the treatment. I am still in the process of finishing this treatment. I was told that I do not need to quarantine the Betta, and since I do not have another cycled tank I though it is the better option right now. The Betta eyes still have a white spot though, I hope it is not permanent.

That is all I have right now.

garlicrbrian
Glad to hear that.
I've never heard of that medication but that seems like solid advice to me, best of luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oodelally
Replies
Views
FishLeGeNd
Replies
Views
Rtessy
  • Question
Replies