Betta evaluation thread

1. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Hello all, I saw this on another forum and thought it would be a good idea for here. What it is is that you post a photo of your betta and hopefully some of the breeders and experienced people with bettas can tell you if your betta is well "made". By this I mean if the betta has a good tail, good body, good markings and coloration, exc. I'll be using this to learn as I just see a beautiful betta and don't know any of things that make it beautiful, if that makes sense. So here's my Keshet, and I'll probably post (Queen) Pebbles soon as well-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    *Please don't get offended on this thread if you decide to show your betta, it's purely the physical aspects of your betta and not their personality.:)

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Excellent vibrant colour.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's patriot [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Alrighty, i'll throw out my "judgments".
    Keshet- his dorsal should align with his caudal, his ventrals could be slightly shorter.
    Patriot-his dorsal and anal fin are too long, his ventrals look curled, his fins are wavy at the ends and he isn't a halfmoon.

5. Sarah73

Yea I know he isn't a halfmoon.

6. OP
    OP
    Platylover

Thank you guys! I love my little guy, he is always so excited to see me(me=food). How should the dorsal align with the caudal fin? And just for fun, what type of betta would you suggest to breed him with(not like I'm going to do it, just curiosity)? Sarah73, I love your Patriot, he's so handsome!:)

7. Sarah73

Lol thx! I don't want him anymore thou:( I love him soooooo much, but he's going after my fry at night. I can't get him a tank for himself. I want someone to buy or get him from me. I love him though:) he has a really good personality. I am his "girlfriend" because he is always protecting my fingers from the fry when their food lol.

8. OP
    OP
    Platylover

I'm sorry you've got to give him away, maybe post something in the buy/sell/trade section? He's beautiful and sounds like he has a great personality! Hope he gets a good home.:)

9. Sarah73

Yea I really love him. I don't know what to do. I was going to get rid of the 10 fry I have now and keep him in the 10gal himself, but that's where my RCS are going because they are dying for some reason in the 40. Should he get a 40gal breeder to himself full of plants? Lol

10. PythonTheBetta

PythonTheBetta Valued Member Member

hm I know Python is just a Petsmart mutt but I'm still curious. I've been told she could be a veil tail or a spade tail [​IMG][​IMG]
    (she's still beautiful to me no matter what )

(she was swimming away from me but this is a better view of her tail)
    [​IMG]

11. Jwills95

Jwills95 Valued Member Member

I just received these bettas in the mail yesterday. I'm wanting to know if they are good quality, and would make good breeders.

Here is the first female.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466110802.917534.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466110821.652177.jpg

Here is the second female.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466111004.747573.jpg

And here is the male.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466111058.001006.jpg
    (His picture before I bought him, I couldn't get a good picture of him flaring)

12. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

That male is gorgeous!

13. PythonTheBetta

I love the koi pattern, it's so pretty! (i've been keeping an eye out at petsmart, not that I'd take it, I've already got my hands full with one fish! )

14. Jwills95

Thank you!! :)

I do too! I had been looking for koi at my petsmart and petco too, but I never found any. I found a breeder in the US that was reasonably priced, so I had to get a few!

15. PythonTheBetta

I love the first female! It looks like she's wearing black lipstick!!

16. Jwills95

The breeder sent me her picture and I had to get her. I always thought of it as a mustache but now that you point it out it does look like black lipstick too!

17. OP
    OP
    Platylover

Wow those are some gorgeous bettas! Jwills95 I love you male, what are their names? PythonTheBetta, I believe you have a spade tail, she's beautiful!

18. Jwills95

Thank you! My pictures don't do the girls justice. The yellow mustache girl is Lucy. I haven't decided on a name for the other two!

19. OP
    OP
    Platylover

As always, I have ideas for names... The male you could call Mitamoto Musashi(an awesome samurai) or moon prince, and the female Onna-Bugeisha(female samurai). Those are my ideas for the names anyway.:)

20. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

She does look like a spade tail, but one from a mix like with how it is a little uneven (more rounded). But a wonderfully bright red beauty. The space tail isn't as common now, they have not been bred as much because other tail types became more popular - though it would be nice to have one of each tail type in a community (females).