Betta escape !!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Joel2036, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

My boy just jumped out of the tank !' I found him on the floor,
    I was in the middle of changing the gravel and I had him in a jar, stupid me forgot to put a lid on it !! I was out of the room for about 5 minutes and when I came back he was gone, in a massive rush I slid my whole bed over and found him on the floor, I grabbed him and he was flipping in my hand and I put him straight back into the tank, he is covered in dust, can that be bad for him ?, other then that he has lost a bit of his colour bit is swimming around as usual like nothing happened, I have not been that scared in years !!!!

2. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967 Valued Member Member

Bet your heart was racing.Hopefully he was only out just before you got back not the full 5 minutes.I left my feeding flap open for couple of hours last night and panicked when I didnt spot my betta for a few seconds.Hope hes ok.

3. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

He seems fine thank god !! He was a present off of my girlfriend and he cost 50dollars she would have murdered me,
    My heart is still racing I don't think I have ever panicked that much !!!!
    That poor boy :(
    I don't see why they jump out to their death, are they trying to find a new pond or something ?
    Now I am just worried about the dust all over him ? Will he get it off himself or should I get it off for him ? It is so tempting to wipe it off for him but he is probably already so stressed !

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

$50! Phew... wouldn't mind seeing a photo of this little guy!

He should be OK. I don't know about cleaning him up or not. Fish get dirty in the wild, it should wash/wear off I hope.

I think a lot of fish don't realise they are in a tank, so they jump out looking for food or new territory or to get around an obstacle.

5. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355996151.673496.jpg

That is the best photo I have of him he is very quick, the photo does not do justice for his size he is massive !! And he looks like such a predator !

This is what I almost lost his life for
    From this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355996314.247461.jpg

To this
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355996462.740591.jpg
    What do you think ?

6. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Joel sorry to hear of your near heart attack I swear sometimes fish are sent to test us.
    Thankfully I've not had a jumper yet well sometimes Mordin gets too excited at breakfast time and jumps for his food but he's not made it out of the tank yet thankfully.

I wouldn't worry about wiping the dust off it will come off by itself what water conditioner are you using? If you have something like api stress coat pop a bit of that in to help his slime coat regenerate and he should be fine but do keep an eye on your little escape artist.

He is very beautiful and I do like how you have re done his tank it looks so much better

7. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

All the dust has washed off of his body, he has got all of his colour back and eating like a beast again !
    Thank god ! :)
    Defiantly a partial heart attack moment, I think it took about 5 years off of my life

8. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

I think he jumped out as it appears you have Justin Biebier on your Tele hehehe even fish are starting to get annoyed! I do hope he is ok though he looks stunning.
    I really like the new set up too it looks much crisper if you know what I mean. I love them stones.

9. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Good point, why'd you torture the boy with even a mentioning of The Beaver?:;nin

10. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Hahaha I was not watching that pre-pubescent hair ball I promise !! Must have been an ad and I had bad timing ! I knew someone would pick up on it :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice