Betta environment

Alyssa

Reaction score
HI !
I’ve just bought my first bi-orb 30 and my first plant. However, I plan to buy a male Betta but I have few questions:

1) should I buy at the same time a male & a female Betta?other suggestions from your experience ?
2) the bi-orb has it’s own filtration system- should I still change 20% of its water every 2-3 days ?
Thank u very much

alyssa

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1) Male and female Bettas can not be kept together. The male will kill the female like hw would another male Betta.
2) Water changes are a must, no matter what the tank. How big is the tank?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh ok. You don't need to change the water every 2-3 days. That is what is recommended for people who keep Bettas in tiny little bowls. I'm glad you're keeping yours in a filtered tank. To answer your question, the norm is around 25% every week. That varies by whether it's planted or not and how heavily stocked it is, but that is a good start. Just try to keep the nitrate levels low. 20 is the max, but I would keep it at 10 or lower if you can.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds like a beautiful bio-orb with a betta in it. My question is, most Bio-orbs do not come heated. Did you purchase and install the heater with yours? The Betta will still need to have a steady temperature of 80-82 degrees for the best health. I know that the orb is supposed to be a closed environment, but they do suggest heaters for tropical fish and I know that they have a special heater made for them.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you planning on keeping any other fish with the Betta?

New Threads