Betta Enrichment?

1. Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl Member Member

What do you do to entertain your bettas? I've heard they'll chase laser pointers and poke at ping pong balls. Are those things true? What about these Indian leaves (I think - please forgive my ignorance) - does the betta spa that's made from them make a difference to the fish, and if so, how? What can I do to enrich Fishy Boris's life?

As for right now, he's entertaining himself. I swear, he's *practicing* flaring. It's hilarious. He flares for all he's worth, relaxes, swims a few inches, then stops and does it again. He's done this several times in a row. Now he's resting. What a funny, sweet fish.

This is the best photo I've been able to capture yet. (Anyone know what kind of "tail" he is? I'm dying to know.) 20180521_195858.jpg

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

We've had Bettas who very much enjoyed being next to a tank of Endlers. It was like watching soccer for them ;)

4. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Ping pong balls and laser pointers don’t really “entertain” them. Since they constantly search for food at the surface of the water in the wild, when something obstructs their view their natural instinct is to move it out of the way. Ping pong balls are actually pretty stressful for them. They probably only chase laser pointers because they think it’s food and that’s much like teasing a dog. Some live foods are a better option, rearranging tank decor every so often, and moving things outside of the tank around should be more than enough.

5. sleow

sleow Member Member

Not sure if it's exactly"entertainment" but I recently threw some large pothos leaves into my tank hoping they will root and my bettas are LOVING them. They're using the leaves like tunnels, swimming over and under the leaves, and playing with the clipped stem end (hopefully not disturbing any new roots :emoji_sweat_smile:). It's probably just the novelty of something new in the tank, but it's been fun to watch!

6. B

BlackOsprey Member Member

You could get them some wingless live fruit flies as a treat. Bettas live on insects in the wild and trying to snap those things up is probably a lot more interesting than a pellet.

7. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I get a toothpick and put a spinach leaf on the end. He thinks it's another betta!

8. OP
    OP
    Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl Member Member

Thanks! Do you know where to find the fruit flies?

Yipes. Thanks so much for your input. I don't remember where I read those things. I'm glad I mentioned them.

Wow! Those are pretty fish. (Had to look them up.) I don't have room, or, frankly, time, for another aquarium. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Thanks, 75g Discus Tank.

9. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

I don’t have many other things to add here (most of what I would’ve said has already been mentioned) but at the end you asked his tail type and I believe he is a double tail betta.

10. B

BlackOsprey Member Member

you can find wingless fruit flies at a Petsmart or Petco, usually in the reptile or fish sections.