Betta+ Endlers

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by philipbouchard-davies, Mar 23, 2010.

1. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Hey!

I was wondering if a single male betta would be ok in 5.5 gallon tank with 4 edlers, red cherry shrimp and and oto?

I ask this because some people have reported sucess with bettas and other fish as long as they dont have long flowing fins, plus endlers are quite quick.

It is a heavily planted tank.

So it all comes down to will it work?

Phil :)

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

My gut feeling is the Endlers would be lunch. Bettas don't usually appreciate other fish in their space(top water) and the Endlers bright colors would make them targets. Sorry
    Carol

3. TFA101

TFA101 Well Known Member Member

It all depends on the temperament of each fish as an individual. Some fish are more aggressive than others (as in, some bettas have a meaner personality than others, and ditto for the endlers). Be aware that sometimes, bettas can snap in a community setting, and often times, someone gets hurt.

If you decide to go through with this, I would advise that you introduce the endlers, shrimp, and oto first (not all at once, but before you get the betta), allow them to become established, and then add the betta. This way, the betta will not be inclined to act aggressively towards the other fish. Should the endlers start harassing the betta or vice versa, remember to have a back up plan just in case. Some bettas can be kept successfully in a community setting, but just be ready in case something goes awry.

4. OP
    OP
    p

Ok sweet I think i will give it a shot!

Btw-my tanks been up and running for about 2 years just making a fish switch from the lone gourami and an oto haha

It there a way i would be able to tell if the betta is more chill, could i pick up his little cup and bring it by the guppy tank and see how he reacts? Since endlers are basicly small guppys.

Also if the betta leaves the adults alone how much fry would could he eat? Enough to keep the population down? (if its not enough ill just give away the females)

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Personally, I wouldn't try it in a 5.5 tank. Of course, I wouldn't try it in any size tank.
    Not to be rude, I just don't understand why someone wants to push a solitary fish into accepting tank mates.

6. OP
    OP
    p

Alright if the bettas out, does anyone know of a good solitary fish that would go good in that setup?

7. Lucy

Why not just stick to the betta alone?

8. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Regardless of whether the fish get along, you are trying to put too many fish in 5.5 gallons, significantly overstocking. I know longer advocate putting bettas in community tanks, but if you must put something with the betta stick to fish that people generally have good luck with, which would be either corys or otos. Probably corys since they are a more hardy fish. Betta and 2 corys would be reasonable, but I wouldn't add anything else because you will have trouble keeping decent water conditions.

9. Lucy

I dunno about the cories, Dice.
    I've got a big momma peppered cory who is about 3 1/2"
    Maybe a few pygmy cories.....
    Either way, have a back up tank in case things don't work.

10. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I've got my betta in with a gold dusy lyretail molly. They do fine. My tank is 10 gal, cycled, small aistone (some things that are not needed with a betta according to some). However with that geing said your tank is too small for anythiing but a snail (which I don't like).

11. _Fried_Bettas_

Yes, some corys get too large, Pandas generally stay on the smallish size. I tried pygmies with female bettas and they had to be removed because they were so small they looked like lunch.

12. OP
    OP
    p

Ya but im getting endlers, and in my opinion the inch per gallon rule is a load of . for these reasons.
    1. Better filter=more fish
    2. Live plants=more fish
    3. Fish bioloads, ex-Neon tetras could be 2 fish per gallon (including the other points)

So it really comes down to what you can handllike if i get endlers alone i could easily keep close to 10.

thats just my opinion,

13. _Fried_Bettas_

Then my suggestion would be to keep it to that one species, and you don't need to start with many, they reproduce like rabbits. I myself just started an Endler tank (15g) and I'm keeping it a single species tank because I don't want the fry to be another fishes dinner. I really don't know how many Endler's can go in a given tank, the males are really small and the females about the size of guppies. If you don't want to have babies and stick with males only, you might be able to handle something around the number you are thinking of if you are alert to water conditions which can change real fast in a small tank.

14. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Don't forget swim space;)

15. OP
    OP
    p

Ya im getting only males for sure due do space issues. and swim space is also another good point, if a fish has obstacles ie. plants, decorations ect it will keep them less bored. I will use the neons as an example again, if you put say 6 neons in a 100g tank with only gravel they will get very bored but if you put them in a 5 gallon with lots of plants they will live a much longer healthier life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice