Betta Emergency

1. D

Danielle Hawkes Initiate Member

My Betta is really sick. We recently added 2 fish to her tank, and everyone had ich within 1 day. I treated the tank with garlic, and things got worse. I lost one of the new fish, then bought some ich treatment, and started thatn2 days ago. My poor betta looks 10x worse, and I know she is suffering. It doesnt look like ich anymore, now it looks like she's rotting away. I do not have a heater to increase the temp. What do I do? Does she have a chance?

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello! Yes, that's extremely bad ich! :(
    Mind answering some questions for me?

What size is your tank? Does it have a filter?
    What's the temperature? What are the water parameters?
    Did you cycle this tank? How long have you had the betta?

3. OP
    OP
    D

I've had her amost a year. She was alone until 10 days ago when I brought home the 2 others. A neon fish and a pleucostimus - (I'm sure I butchered that). Anyhow, they seemed to get along great, everyone was happy, especially my betta. I noticed the ich 5 days ago. The pleuy died 2 days ago. The neon has no more ick, but the betta is a mess. It looks like her fins are rotting away before my eyes..
    Tank is 5 gallons, The water stays at 77. I took my filter out the day I started the treatment (medicine, not garlic). I did a 90% water change the day before introducing the new guys. I then did a 25% change after the garlic, but that wasn't enough. I think that destroyed my tank. I hope that answered everything. Thx in advance.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, so what you need to do is get a heater to raise the temperature to at least 84.
    I would never suggest you remove the filter for medicating, just the carbon. You didn't answer whether you were cycled or not.

5. OP
    OP
    D

I guess I don't know what 'cycled' means. Also, the medicine says to remove the carbon when treating. My filter has carbon in it, so I removed it. Should I replace it?
    I'm looking at heaters right now. I feel like I may be too late:(

6. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this. :( I know it's tough and you have my sympathy. Welcome to Fishlore by the way. I wish you were here with happier news, but we will be glad to help you any way we can.

For future reference, garlic is not a treatment. It may increase appetite and that's always helpful as sick fish often go off of their food. Decreasing nutrition is not good for a sick fish. Garlic may also help to boost the immune system which is great too, but again, it doesn't treat anything.

Heat is a great way to treat ich, but you also mentioned a medication. Can you share with us the name of the med you're using? The thing is, you never want to do two treatments at once. Any treatment can be tough on a fish, so you want to pick one and stick with it so as to not cause additional stress to your fish. Heat is a great option, but not at the same time as meds. Bettas are warm water fish, so it's my opinion that you should use heat instead of meds. The following link is a great reference for Ich and heat treatment.

ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment

Knowing about the nitrogen cycle is the first step in keeping a healthy fish. There should be a link there in that last sentence, so give it a click and study the info on cycling. ;) In a nutshell, fish produce ammonia, yet it is toxic to livestock. Beneficial bacteria (bb) should live in your filter and it will process ammonia, making the water safe for your fish. You must have something in your filter that the beneficial bacteria can colonize and live in, sooo....

I'm also now wondering about your filter. Can you tell us what kind you have? Lots of aquarium kits come with hang on back filters with carbon pad inserts. The carbon needs to be removed for meds, but if that pad is the only thing in your filter, then you're bb has been living on the padding around the carbon. If you have these kinds of carbon inserts and change it every month like packaging suggests, then you are throwing away the very thing that holds your cycle.

I don't want to get too deep into things without knowing more about your situation. Please do what you can to explain your filtration to us. If you are unsure, share some pics and we will be glad to help you figure it out. Sorry, I have a hard time keeping things short, so just a reminder, we also need to know which med you've used.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I haven’t thoroughly read your post yet, but I wanted to get more info about my tank to you ASAP. It is a top fin glass 5 gallon tank. I will attach a picture of the whole thing, hopefully you can tell what kind of filtration it is.

I went to buy a heater just now, But I bought a temp maintainer by mistake. Should I try to manually bring the temp up by doing a water change? I won’t get the heater for a couple hours, and I really think she is suffering.
    Oh, and after closer inspection, the new fish also has Eck, it just looks different than it did the other day.

I will go back and read your text thoroughly now. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    D

Almost forgot- this is the ick medicine. I am due to treat again at 5pm MST. Should I?

Attached Files:

9. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Your medicine's active ingredient is malachite green. This is a known treatment for fungus and parasites which can be effective but is not always so. Stronger parasite medicines will combine malachite green with formalin, (formaldehyde), and these are usually very effective, but just like with us, any type of medication in inherently dangerous and they should really be avoided when possible and used with great care when necessary.

I'm sorry, I just cannot tell you the best thing to do as it is a personal choice to medicate or not. On one hand, it seems like since you've already started meds, perhaps you should give them some time to work. On the other hand, heat is an easier treatment for the fish, particularly when we're dealing with warm water fish.

Mind if I ask a few more questions?

How are your fish behaving now? Are they eating and moving about?
    Have you familiarized yourself with the nitrogen cycle?
    Do you have a test kit that can check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

The reason we ask about cycling is that toxins like ammonia, nitrite, or very high nitrates in the water will ultimately lower the fishes immunity, making issues worse and slowing the healing process. It is very important that you maintain safe water for your fish while they are dealing with this.

That's a cute tank you've got there. :) I cannot tell anything about filtration though. It looks like it's contained in a chamber on the left side of the tank. Could you tell me what's inside and/or take a picture of the inside of the chamber? What do you usually do with the filtration and do you have a routine of cleaning in there or replacing parts regularly?