Betta Emergency

1. hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

I have my Betta in a 2 gallon tank with 1 snail. It has a filter and a plant. My Betts started acting lethargic so I tested the amonia and the test said it was like an 8.0. I out amonia lock and did a 50 percent water change. The amonia has decreased to about 5.0. Is he a goner!?! What should I do!

2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

That's a lot of ammonia, continue 50% back to back water changes until it's under 0.5. Bettas are pretty hardy, so he may be able to pull through.

Do you have results for nitrite and nitrate? What are you testing with? Tank size and temperature? How long has it been set up? Sounds like it isn't cycled.

3. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

I cycled it for a little over month per directions I found online. Its a only 2 gallons. The temp looks to be around 76 f.Should I do another 50 percent water change immediately? I am so concerned. I have had him for over a year at school. ( I was a teacher) My director had him in a tiny bowl so when school was over I took him and got him a bigger home. I wanted to give him a better life and now he is so sick. I will do the other test now but should I go ahead and do another 50 percent water change first?

Did a test while I was waiting on response. No3 -20 /No2-0 /ph-6.5 /kh -40/ gh-30

Im almost tempted to put him in my 10 gallon tank which has good parameters but there are other fish in there that bettas don't get along with...

Did you see my response?

4. Aster

The presence of ammonia indicates your tank isn't cycled, it was overwhelmed by an ammonia spike, or you lost the cycle somehow. How did you cycle it? Have you replaced the filter media or rinsed it under tap water? Could anything be contributing to the ammonia spike, like decaying food or waste?

I would go ahead and do more water changes until ammonia tests to be under 0.5. Can you test your tap water as well?

Can you take a picture of him?

EDIT:
    I wouldn't put him in the 10g, too much potential for aggression.

5. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

I tested the tap water. hardly any amonia. I haven't done anything to the filter. His color is fading too

He hasn't been eating either.

Just replied. sorry so keep forgetting to reply directly to your post. About to do another 50 percent change.

Attached Files:

6. Aster

I would do water changes to keep ammonia down until the tank is cycled. It's most likely the poor water quality that's getting to him. You'll know it's cycled when you continuously have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some amount of nitrates.

EDIT:
    No need to quote my post each time ;) I'm notified whenever something new is posted on this thread

7. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

I had plenty of water set aside for my 1p gallon water change so I can do it quickly.

The amonia level appears to be at about .5 Should I do it one more time? This would be the 3rd time. I don't want to put too much stress on him but idk. What do you suggest? My snail appears to be dead at this point, but I can't tell.

Also, should I try to feed him? I have blood worms and betta pellets. He hasn't been eating, but I don't want to spike the amonia again with uneaten food , but he needs to eat.

8. ahouseofscales

ahouseofscales Member Member

I would focus on getting the params down to a safe level. Bettas can go for a while without eating, and even though he's weak right now he should pull through. After you get your tank back to normal he will hopefully start feeling better and will start to eat again.

9. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

Thanks

Should I change the water 50 percent one more time or wait till tomorrow?

I woke up this morning and he is laying upside down on the bottom with no movement. It appears he has passed. I say this with a heavy heart. I did everything I could and I greatly appreciate all your help in trying to save this poor sweet fisb.

I am hestitant to get another. I had this betta over a year and I was very fond of him. It amazes me that he lived in a tiny fish bowl for a year and then when I try to do something better for him, I end up killing him. It makes me so sad. I don't know if I can get another betta right now, but I don't know what to do with this 2 gallon fish tank as I doubt it is appropriate for anything else.

10. Chlorophyll.And.Light

Chlorophyll.And.Light Initiate Member

If you can try buying purigen, since it's main job literally filters organic compounds out of the water. Also after the process try using black water extract to accelerate the healing.

11. Aster

Sorry for your loss.

When you took him in he was probably already weak from the bowl, and the uncycled tank just got to him.

A 2g tank is on the small side for a betta. You could try shrimp or snails once it cycles properly.

12. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

Thanks

13. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Very sorry to hear he passed. Don't beat yourself up over this. You had his best interests at heart.

14. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

Thank you.

15. Chlorophyll.And.Light

Chlorophyll.And.Light Initiate Member

Just imagine. He's up there now swimming in a endless rice paddy eating all the insects, and food he wants. My condolences to your fish.

16. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

Thank you :)

17. filtered_light

filtered_light Member Member

I worked on a farm one summer, and the Farmer had a saying... if you are a little bit of a perfectionist, farming will cure you. What he meant was that no matter how carefully you plan and how diligently you work, a lot of things happen that are beyond your control. Weather, pests, plant diseases, animals digging up seeds, etc. We have to do the best we can and then forgive ourselves and look forward. Biological systems are complex and there are always going to be some unknown factors. We tend to think we have control over aquariums, but there are still many invisible factors that can go wrong. You did the best you could for the fish. Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm very sorry for your pain.

18. OP
    OP
    hh01441

hh01441 Member Member

Thank you.