Betta Emergency.. Trying to save him.

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi guys Joel again I come to you with a semi urgent problem.
My sisters Betta which was being kept in a 1 gallon bowl appears to be very sick. He has lost a lot of his beautiful color and his fins seems to be going away. He is sinking to the bottom of the bowl. Now before you say it yes I know keeping this fish in a 1gallon bowl is not a good idea but that is currently not the issue. Also I have moved him into a different container temporarily before I move him into my cycled 5gallon where there is currently an opening for a Betta. I am now realizing that this may have been a bad idea because he already stressed. To attempt to reduce the stress I have added some stress coat and aeration.

Sorry this is a little hard to understand but I'm typing it fast as I feel the situation is urgent.
Thanks,
-Joel

Ps I may have posted this in the wrong thread but I wasn't sure which to put it in so feel free to move it.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear he's sick.

Did you acclimate him to the new water? Did you test the water he was in? What kind of cleaning schedule did your sister have for him? Was the bowl heated and filtered?

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The bowl was heated the cleaning schedule was about once a month. Yes I'm currently acclimating him. I have not yet tested the water he was in I'm doing that now.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If he was in a bowl being cleaned once a month i'd wager the water parameters were far worse than the container you are putting him into.

Did you test the water he was in against the water he is going into with a liquid test kit before acting?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Go slow, chances are the water he was in will test high for a lot of things. Plunking him into good water might be a shock.

lobstahlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Joel,

I know you're worried, but could we get a little more information? Why can't he move directly into the 5 gallon tank? What sort of container do you have him in now?

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Currently I have in a small container however I am acclimating so he doesn't get too much of a shock.

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am currently testing the water I am putting him into.

Update: the water conditions are good except the ph is a bit high. However still better conditions than the bowl

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The water conditions are relatively the same chemically but there is less waster and algae in the five gallon. To attempt to reduce the possibility of fatality I have been going very slowly with the acclimating.
Thanks,
-Joel

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agreed. It might be better to leave him in the bowl for the time being and slowly replace the old water with new.

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok rn I have him in a seperate container and am very slowly acclimating him to the five gallon tank so I can get him in better conditions what should I do once I feel he has been properly acclimated.

He can barely swim to the surface how should I help?
Thanks,
-Joel

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is the water in the current tank from his bowl?

At the very least I would put a floating plant or a suction cup Betta leaf in there so he can rest near the surface.

Wendigoblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have any pictures of the betta? That may help to make sure he doesn't have fin rot or anything else. Sorry to hear about your sister's betta. I hope he gets better soon!

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Honestly, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're doing what you need to do, at least from what you've provided us. You're using the temp container to acclimate him to the water of the larger tank. Providing the leaf for him to rest on should help give him something near the surface so he can get air and doesn't have to go to far for it. My guess would be that he was sick from the conditions in the previous tank and hopefully once he's acclimated and in the new tank, he'll perk back up.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about adding an Indian Almond/Catappa leaf? I don't know if it's been proven but they're supposed to have some sort of antibiotic property. Certainly my bettas seem to be "happier" in slightly tannic water!

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
image.jpeg

Sorry the below attached image was an accident and I can't figure out how to remove it.

Attachments

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Poor dude, he does look rough I would say that's a fairly advanced case of fin rot and some sort of medication is in order. I'll let others who have dealt with such cases advise you on that, however.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom