Betta Emergency.or So It Would It Appear

TheAlchemist77

Reaction score
Hello.I wanna follow protocol around here because this forum has always been my go to source when I need facts and since my problem is not related directly to my tank I posted here because i know bettas are very popular.I recieved a shipment this week.5 females, 1 male.Everyone is swimming fine, but two of the females ate their poop in transit.Both are bloated to the point that they look like they have dropsy.I received the bettas from one of the biggest and most reputable farms in Thailand(nicebetta).The owner guarantees the fish to be good to go in one weeks time after he saw these photos.He does not speak the best English on the block, but he said he fed each of them a full egg.Guessing two days before packed, but not sure.I am interested to hear anyone's input on this.They obviously fed on their poop in transit.Should I chill like he said or take action?First two pics of chocolate mustard, second two of royal blue.Please help.Thank you.

When confronted with the proposition of these two girls have dropsy from this, he said they were merely bloated.This guy has been doing this for decades, but he is banking on a bloat because they were uber healthy when he shipped.For the record all the other fish are gorgeous and top shelf quality.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience dropsy boats outward not downward in the stomach area like that. I also believe they are bloated. Not feeding for several days will allow their systems to clean out. To help them, you can give them each a Epsom salt bath, which reduces swelling and is a laxative. About 1/2-1 teaspoon per gallon dissolved in a separate container for no more than 15 minutes will help their systems. If you don't want to do that, just fast them and put them on a strict diet after that. Fortunately Epsom salt baths also help with dropsy, so either way...

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Can you take pictures from above them? Dropsy means they will have raised scales from the sides of their bodies.

TheAlchemist77

Reaction score
In my experience dropsy boats outward not downward in the stomach area like that. I also believe they are bloated. Not feeding for several days will allow their systems to clean out. To help them, you can give them each a Epsom salt bath, which reduces swelling and is a laxative. About 1/2-1 teaspoon per gallon dissolved in a separate container for no more than 15 minutes will help their systems. If you don't want to do that, just fast them and put them on a strict diet after that. Fortunately Epsom salt baths also help with dropsy, so either way...
Roger that.I have the royal blue in my 3.5 gallon medic tank with salt and bettafix.She was super aggressive with 2 of the other bettas in big tank.Everyone has been friendly since she has been out not even nipping.Her fin is chewed up also.Maybe leave her in there going forward?And when should I quit treating her?She does not have fin rot, just torn fin.I can get a another cube medic tank to replace that.It is right next to big tank and my other tanks.

Attachments

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see pineconing, but you need a really clear photo. Do the scales look raised when you look down on the fish?
A fish can be in the beginning stages of Dropsy with Bloat only and no pineconing. You don't want the pineconing to show up because that's the end-ish stage, when a lot of pressure is raising the scales up from the inside. That's why Epsom salt baths are best to start with to reduce swelling and pull out fluids as well as working as a laxative for constipation or stomach Bloat.

Edit: the first photo in the second post does look like raised scales, but it could be the photo. Still, regardless of it being dropsy or Bloat, Epsom salt baths. I'd also get Kanaplex or med with Kanamycin just in case. It's an antibiotic that is absorbed internally and effective for internal and external bacterial infection.
I don't know why my tablet keyboard keeps capitalizing Bloat.

TheAlchemist77

Reaction score
I don't see pineconing, but you need a really clear photo. Do the scales look raised when you look down on the fish?
A fish can be in the beginning stages of Dropsy with Bloat only and no pineconing. You don't want the pineconing to show up because that's the end-ish stage, when a lot of pressure is raising the scales up from the inside. That's why Epsom salt baths are best to start with to reduce swelling and pull out fluids as well as working as a laxative for constipation or stomach Bloat.

Edit: the first photo in the second post does look like raised scales, but it could be the photo. Still, regardless of it being dropsy or Bloat, Epsom salt baths. I'd also get Kanaplex or med with Kanamycin just in case. It's an antibiotic that is absorbed internally and effective for internal and external bacterial infection.
I don't know why my tablet keyboard keeps capitalizing Bloat.
Yeah.I was gonna give the seller the benefit of the doubt and just wait it out for a week, but also thinking about pulling the chocolate mustard out of the big tank and at the bare minimum treat her with a laxative.I do not like my royal blue with that bettafix.She needs salt and laxatives, but I paniced when they showed up like that.Thank you for your help.
Any thoughts on keeping the blue isolated?

A little bit.In regards to the scales.I also know that if it is it can infect the whole tank too.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any thoughts on keeping the blue isolated?
I would. The reason why most people separate their betta sororities (or harem, I guess is what you're going for?) is because in the long run, the fish are always stressed or distressed and keeping it balanced can be delicate and difficult. That said, people have done it successfully for long periods.
If she's not a team player, having her in with the others will be bad for them. On the other hand, when she's better and in a month or few weeks, you can try again.

As for the raised scales, as I said, get an internal antibiotic or get antibiotic medicated food to keep on hand in case the Epsom salt baths aren't strong enough alone/she has an internal infection. Maybe something happened during shipping that made her sick. I don't know why they were fed eggs before shipping. People usually fast before shipping to prevent waste and ammonia build up and other issues.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 17 37.0%

Top Bottom