Betta either has a tumor or an ulcer - how to treat?

JaneGael

Abscess - not ulcer!

Bartholomew has been in his 20g tank for a couple of months. I noticed what looked like a little bubble on his side that was white like his scales. It has gotten larger and now has a red rim around the base. I'm getting ready to transfer him into a 10g hospital tank and want some thoughts on medication. I'm going to add .25 oz of aquarium salt per gallon but am not sure what meds to use. I have on hand: Furan-2, Polyguard and Kanaplex. What would you suggest?

Parameters in the 10g are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.4, Nitrate a bit over 5.

I can't get a photo of him because he won't hold still and the bubble is the same color as his scales (white) so it doesn't show up except from the top.

BigManAquatics

Be careful. If a tumor or cyst, they really aren't treatable. Tumors can be cut off though usually not worth the cost. Cysts usually go away eventually provided clean water.

JaneGael

Be careful. If a tumor or cyst, they really aren't treatable. Tumors can be cut off though usually not worth the cost. Cysts usually go away eventually provided clean water.
I've lost two bettas to cancer but the growths were darker colored. This is staying white with a ring of red around the base which makes me think infection.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JaneGael
Replies
Views
grac3
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views