Betta Eating With Cory

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta decided to swim to the bottom of the tank to eat shrimp pellets with the cories. He was surprisingly peaceful and didn’t try to chase anyone away; they just ate with him. He did spit out the pellets after every bite. This is after he has his regular meal so I guess he wanted dessert.
IMG_1904.JPG

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have always had bad luck with bettas and bottom dwellers, the betta always became bloated. Now, I don’t keep bettas with them unless I can hide their food from the betta.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta doesn’t scare the cories away, they just eat together.

I am having a problem in some of my other tanks with other fish eating the cory’s pellets. I don’t know if the cories are getting enough and I’m afraid the other fish are eating too much. I don’t know what to do. I had to move my neons to another tank it got so bad with them but I’d have to buy another tank if I have to keep doing that.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corey scare away very easily, and the bettas do over eat if you let them.

1 thing that helped me is that I keep a betta at the top of a 30 gallon tall, and the Cories are at the bottom 24in away.

I feed sinking food to the cories and the betta has to chase it a long way. He cannot get there first and steal it, thus must settle for any scraps.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My cories aren’t afraid of him at all and he likes them. I don’t see bloat with him but I’m having a major problem with my yellow forktail rainbows eating all the cory food and getting very bloated. I don’t know what to do.

I want to move the betta and cories over to a tall 20 so maybe that will help.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Betta follows my Mystery snail around on the bottom and if the snail finds a pellet or piece of Pleco wafer, the Betta tries to steal it. He just grabs it and spits it out but probably manages to get some of it. If the snail is not moving around, the Betta just ignores it. When it starts cruising, he follows it and sometimes even wraps his body around it. He never nips at it. I call the snail Smokey and the Betta is Benny. Sometimes I feel like I should change the Betta's name to Bandit.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Only one of my bettas appears to be a snail murderer, but he killed two before I wised up and quit putting them in his tank.

The others seem to be doing okay.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s amazing how they all have such different personalities. My one betta loves other fish and has never showed any aggression. He likes to hang out with the other fish when he can catch up to them. I have one who is very aggressive and one who tolerates other fish. I love them.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These fish have been bred over the past Century to be more and more aggressive, but you're always going to get some recessive members who show little aggression.

They will be by far the minority but they will occur.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom