Betta eating Question??

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a question my betta eat the second day I had him but today he has only eaten one pellet. He left the other one this morning and did not eat his super tonight. Should I be concerned? He is also hanging out at the bottom of the tank im beging worried.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Did you try feeding him the pea? He may be constipated. When my Lilex was constipated he stayed near the bottom and did not want to eat.

Just a suggestion.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have tried the pea that was last night but all he did was nible he never ate it...

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well then I guess I would wait and see what Rose has to say.

I'm sorry you are worried about your baby!

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Temp: 74-75
amonia:0
Nitrite: .1
that seems ok

he just ate a little. It seems he will not eat the pellits that have soaked up water. He has continued to stay at the bottom of the tank...

Manicivy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think if you up the temperature a few degrees he will become more active.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
he is in a 1 gallon tank i do have a 25w heater but is that safe? i dont think so....

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
If it has a temperature setting, it should be perfectly safe. I use 25w heaters in my 2.5 and 3 gallon tanks.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would never put a heater in anything below 2.5 gallon as the general rule of thumb is 10 watts per gallon of tank. So a 25 watt would be safe for a 2.5 gallon but there are no 10 watt heaters with thermostats so there are no safe heaters for 1 gallon tanks. I used a 25 watt heater in the 3 gallon hospital tank but I had to watch it and be sure not to set the thermostat as high as I wanted the water to be as it would quickly heat up to 2 degrees hotter than that due to the smaller amount of water and the decor and gravel and walls of the aquarium picking up heat. For some reason even though the thermostat worked, the temperature would consistently get about 2 degrees hotter that what the heaters were set at. (I tried 3 different ones to see if it was the heater or what and they all did it.)

Rose

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I used a 25 watt in my 1 gallon tank and never had problems with it. As long as its a good quality heater with a built-in thermostat, one shouldn't have any problems. I use the Marineland Visi-Therm heaters, which have automatic shutoff, in case I forget to unplug it when changing the water (which I usually do) and turns on again when it detects enough water. Its in a plastic casing so there's no risk of glass breakage or burns to the fish. Has worked great for me for quite some time in small tanks.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well ill keep both of that in mined. It seems he is only eating 1 pellit a day. Is this normal?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
he will eat when he is hungry. just don't leave excess food in his tank and don't overfeed him. Otherwise whatever he eats is what he wants unless he does not like what he is eating then you should try something else. Are you sure he isn't spitting the food out?

Rose

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Im prity shur when he eats. Im not over feeding him i dont think 2 pellits in the morning and 2 at night. Im going to try the pea again. Ill cut it up smaller this time

This weekend i hope to get the blood worms. Is there any thing elce i can try?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are all kinds of pellets, but be really careful when you change them from pellets to worms if you do. They can become very constipated. Just try one worm at a time and maybe a pellet with it. I do not usually suggest giving worms and pellets at the same time but if you are changing them over from one type of food to the other then maybe you can do it gradually. Let me know how he is doing. It is well known that the Betta is a very picky fish and hard to get to eat. They do not like variety in their food very well. When they find a food they will eat they do not like to have you give them something else. It upsets their systems and gives them tummy aches. Plus most of the time they just won't eat them.

Hope this is helpful.

Rose

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks coudl you give me a list of food bettas can eat? and ill start trying things.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only things I have ever had any luch with with any of my babies are:
The frozen and fresh foods, while tempting, have the problem of sometimes spreading disease because the freezing process does not necessarily kill off all the bacteria contained in the foods, so I recommend the freeze dried food only.  The pellets by Hikart can be found in almost any fish store and are very good as they have the added advantage of enriching the colors of the Betta.  The Atison's food is from Ocean Nutrition and is sold by Petco I believe.

Rose

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
He only takes nibble at the flakes to...

But he whent strate for the blood worms. He seems to like them. I just gave him a little when i got back 3pm and i will also feed him a litte befor i go to bed but i feed my fish 2 times a day at around 10am and 3pm. How much of the little cube should i be giving him?

its not healthy for him only eating bloodworms so i there anything you would recomend?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I feed mine frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, and live blackworms. My new guy will only get pellets though, as I have found with my other two that once they get a taste of the "good stuff," they'll never eat another pellet. Spoiled rotten, I tell ya!

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol no pellits for my guy i guess. So they also eat frozen shrimp ill try that one then Is it ok if he only eats 2 things?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom