Betta Dying!

Simonsayz37

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a betta named Buddy. Had him for about 8 months maybe? This month I got a mystery snail and 2 ghost shrimp to join him. The mystery snail was fine. Buddy didn't really mind him. He got stuck in the filter and died. The ghost shrimp hide a lot. My fish got sick so he was in a separate tank. The shrimp were alone in the original 5 gallon tank. They had never been so happy looking and ACTIVE! Usually they hide until it's bedtime and Buddy is sleeping. That's the only time they could eat as well. Buddy will see their food and guard it so they cannot eat. I try to put more food in another place so Buddy can't guard both areas. I recently had problems with high pH thus why Buddy is sick and I think it's cuz we left food out for them and it got icky. Anywho....I just put Buddy back in the regular tank today cuz he was getting his color back and acting much better. I couldn't see him very well and when he got back in the tank I noticed his gills are still sticking out abdominal super red. My bf said he tips over but I haven't seen this. So I'm like maybe it's SBD. He had a white spot so I was like maybe ick. I think the spot is gone. His dorsal fin was clamped but that's way better. His neck was turning white but that's getting better. I gave him bettafix for 5 days with like 30% water changes daily. I have the steps to test his water and that was all good and I have him aquarium salt as well. Now he's flaring like crazy and swimming around like a crazy fish. What is wrong and how do I fix him? I uploaded a photo of him. Thanks!

Attachments

FerretsLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well first of all, hi!
To me he doesn't look at all like a dying fish, his colors are beautiful but his fins looks really long and heavy, and i'm not sure about the tips if that color is normal or maybe a beginning of fins damage?what kind of plants/decoration do you have in his tank?
Most of the time when they swim like there is no tommorow and flaring at nothing, it's because the lighting in their room is not as strong as the one in their tank so they 'attack' and flare at their own reflection. One of my bettas use to do that all the time at night when i first got him, he even riped in half his analfin doing that!
I always left a lamp open in his room until his bedtime, and he doesn't do that anymore.

Can you take more pictures of him so we can have a better look at what you think is wrong with his little body?

Simonsayz37

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will take more pictures tomorrow....our technically today when the light is on and see if I can get a photo of his gills. They aren't swollen but they are super red and sticking out. He looks like he is breathing heavy. He seemed to be doing in the sick fish tank but it was colder, had some bettafix and a little aquarium salt in it. I can't see in it as well. It's not like crystal clear glass so i can't see details well such as his gills not being better. I'm from a small town so the quickest way for me to get meds is through Amazon Prime and that takes at least 2 days so I need to know what's wrong so I can order them! I thought about trying paraguard? I've read so much about so many things! I really wanna try maracyn but that's like a week to get here and I fear that may be too late. If I could find something that is safe for invertebrates that would be ideal but I doubt that's possible. Thanks again!

BTW I forgot to answer your questions. His color is pretty normal. A little paler then normal yet and the front long thingies are white normally. I posted a picture of my tank basically. It's got a plastic orange plant he loves to sleep in and softer green plants and rings and a log and a mushroom house and a tombstone and a moss ball thingie. He's also got a leaf hammock deal He used to have this plastic grass he loved but I took it out because he hurt himself on it about a month ago. There isn't anything too sharp. I've checked all that out. I have some sort of filter that came with the tank. I think it has crappy filters and am looking for suggestions on new filters for a 5 gallon betta tank that won't break the bank. I also have a heater to keep him nice and warm. I think that's it.

Attachments

FerretsLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you mean super red and sticking out when he is flaring or at rest ?
He's just out of a run of meds, let him in regular water for 7 days before putting anything else.
You can still order paraguard just in case, it's like a broad medicine so if anything is going with him that could help buy more time to find what's going on, but for now just provide him fresh and clean water, that one of the best remedy on earth.

Simonsayz37

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll do daily 25% water changes then for the next week and see what happens.

I mean strip test thingies. The temp is about 78 degrees. I'm in bed about to go to sleep. I have to be up in a few hours and I need like 10 hours of sleep so it's gonna be brutal. But I'll get you the water parameters when I'm up. Last time I checked then just a couple days ago when I put the shrimp in everything was good. Thanks for helping me!

FerretsLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And prepare your water the night before, i found it's always better 'cause the PH in can sometimes change a bit in 24h, depending on your water source!

Simonsayz37

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So he ate this morning and seems to be doing ok. I finally got a photo this evening. There's also this light colored spot he has that we didn't remember but it almost looks light blue to me like it's just his fin pigment. It's been there for at least a week or longer and no ick has appeared. He's nicer with the shrimp. Not sure if it's cuz they were in the tank first and he was out for a while our if he's just that sick. I think his color is a little rusty maybe or perhaps it's just his normal faded color since he's sick. We did shine a flashlight on him and he glittered a little bit. I wonder if some bettas just do that cuz it looked nothing like velvet pictures I've seen online. I've uploaded a photo of him. If you look really close you can see super darkness around his gills. That's what is sticking out and red. You can also see the white/light blue dot on his top fin. Let me know what you think.
Nitrate is 0, nitrite is 0, gh is 75, chlorine is 0, kh is 100 and ph is 7.4.

Attachments

FerretsLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oooh i see what you mean by the dark area! I know with darker betta it can be harder to see, but look at my little worm. He's beige/white so the black is reaaaally pooping out.
20181022_145053.jpg

I don't know what's the name of this physical part, i call it the reptilian gill...
But your boy seems to be doing pretty good, and if he is eating and kinda 'laid back' and resting on differents spot in his tank that's good, he still has a small home so it doesn't take long for him to patrol it.
I'll just keep up with the pwc and keep his water a pristine as possible, for at least a week to see if only clean and good water is what his system needs, if it was my boy i wouldn't want to try meds on him i'm not sure if it's bacterial/fungal/parasites, and thoses are the 3 main things that happens in a close environnement like a fish tank!

Simonsayz37

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FEFBBAA0-2381-41D6-807D-B680BD3987F9.jpeg
B0B450D3-84CA-48D3-BC4D-E8C629DB1DC7.jpeg
Ok sorry it's been so long! Somehow he survived that! But now I'm worried again! He sends to be doing pretty good but he seems constipated and having trouble pooping. His poop is kinda thick and white. Now I was watching him and he looks like he may have fin rot! His tail has always had dark ends but now they seem extra dark and kind of curled up. Is this fin rot? Could those almond leaf things do it? I put those in for the first time about 2 weeks ago. They are still in for my shrimps to eat. Am I leaving them in too long? The first photo is of him when I first made this post. You can kind of see the normal darkness on his fin. The second photo with the purple mushroom in the back is from today, Wednesday. There you can see the blackness and curled up fin. What do you think?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom