Betta Dying. Send Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by tokiodreamy, Apr 23, 2018.

1. tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

Today I noticed that my Betta has been lying on the tank substrate and barely able to swim. I did a 50% pwc and came back a few hours later to what I thought was him dead. However, he's holding on for dear life and I'm uncertain if I can save him.

I've been battling finrot with him since I got him. He made progress but then got worse. He's also had stress lines since at least a month after I got him. I never could get them to go away. (I have not used any meds to treat finrot. Was doing pwc daily or every 2-3 days).

I did see some red on his head which I've never noticed before. The red on his fins have always been there.

Tank 5.5g
    Temp ~79°F
    Current Parameters 0A 0Ni 10-20Na (doing another 50% pwc
    Only other inhabitants is a nitrite snail which shows no issues. 20180423_005022.jpg20180423_005028.jpg20180423_004930.jpg20180423_004927.jpg20180423_004828.jpg20180423_004731.jpg

2. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

What do you feed? He looks fairly emaciated.

3. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Hey guys with eyes! Help! Look at this baby and tell me what’s going wrong. @Hunter1 you still awake?

What does the rest of him look like?

4. tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

I mainly feed the fluval bug bites. Once in a while I'll feed pellets or frozen foods.

5. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

I agree with @sfsamm he us very thin and could use some nutrition. As far as the redness it looks like chronic septicemia and he will need antibiotics soon in order to survive.

6. tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

Could he get septicemia without any new additions to the tank? It's been only him and a snail since forever.

I'll try and feed him some frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp in the morning.

I have Maracyn two left over that I can use. Do you suggest I do it immediately or should I wait a few days to see if his condition improves? I don't want to over stress him with meds.

7. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

If he’s as bad as they’re saying, you need to act quickly. I wish I could see him!

8. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Yikes I wouldn't want to med him with in his state... Try some good quality betta pellets just one or two but twice daily for a week then up to three times a day. It does on the surface appear a bit like septicemia but I'd venture it has to do with the nutritional issues and to be honest I don't know that I'd medicate. Maracyn is a pretty heavy duty deal and he's in a very fragile state. Maybe medicated foods like Kanaplex with focus and garlic to bind it to the pellets and make it taste better. But a water column med I'd personally avoid entirely. And avoid the frozen blood worms for now brine shrimp would be better.

Septicemia can be caused by many things it's not exactly a disease they necessarily catch from another fish. It's internal bacterial infection, can be water conditions, stress reducing immunities to natural biologicals, internal injuries, etc.

Sorry for having to answer three different time my phone app is not cooperative tonight...

Anyway I'd be feeding the betta pellets more often than not and treating occasionally with the bug bites or frozen foods. Maybe pellets 5 days a week with a day for bug bites and a day for frozen.

I use bug bites for treats and when used more often than that I've always had issues. I won't say it's not a good food I just don't think it provides proper nutrition, I've never done any looking on it though... One of these days I'll get that far down my list of stuff to research though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  9. tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

There's photos attached to the main post.

Thanks for all the info!

I'm trying 2 pellets soaked in seachem nourish to assist with nutrition.
    I was nervous to medicate in his condition so I'll hold off. Last thing I'd want to do is stress him more.

Good to know the causes of it. When I googled it all it said was transferable by other fish and no other causes.

Originally he wouldn't eat the pellets at all. So I looked for alternatives. I'll attempt to feed him the pellets more often.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  10. tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

4/23 morning update

He made it through the night! I was so worried he wouldn't. He's on the substrate barely able to swim. He's not able to swim up to the waterline even though I lowered it by 1/3 (as low as the heater will allow). I used a net to gently bring him to the surface and he took in air. How often does he need air from the surface?! I have a mini HOB filter (water line has been lowered) and air stone. This makes me nervous.

I fed 2 high quality pellets soaked in seachem nourish and he ate them both! (From the substrate that is). I'm just happy he's eating! I'll feed him more tonight to fatten him up

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  11. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

A breeder net that holds him near the surface would likely help quite a bit if you can get ahold of one. Try to get a larger one so he will be able to use it longer into his recovery.

12. tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

I have a breeder net but it's rather large. I'm unsure if I'd be able to fit it in his 5.5g tank without having to remove everything. But good suggestion. I'll look into it more tonight

13. Skye_marilynWell Known MemberMember

Whatever you do DO NOT USE TETRACYCLINE OR MARACYN TWO! These meds will exacerbate the problem and he will most likely die. There aren’t many cures for septicemia because it’s similar to someone having cancer for 5 years then dying of kydney failure, there isn’t much you can then do for the kydney failure bc that root problem got too bad. He probably had this infection for quite a while but now it has penetrated the bloodstream making it very hard to heal. Make him as comfortable as possible and avoid anything that causes stress or thins blood (most meds do). If he starts getting discolored skin, bulging eyes, necrotic lesions, or bleeding you may want to consider euthanasia, via your local fish vet.

14. Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I know almost nothing about disease, i’ve been very lucky.

I think quality water via water changes and resistance to over feeding are the best preventive measure although fish can get sick regardless of how well you maintain your tank.

15. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I agree with Gypsy. He needs something NOW or he isn’t going to make it!

16. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Gypsy13, the Betta is blue but his head has lost color. Looks silver. He is laying on the bottom of the tank, rather lifeless. Fins are just drooping as he lies there.

17. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Others have said it looks extremely thin and the OP said it had red veins and a red spot on its head? OP said it ate a few pellets. All we can do is hope it eats enough to gain strength. Bring him closer to the surface and keeping the water clean.

18. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Even if you are moving things around. It'll help give him his best shot.

19. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

20. tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

I checked the breeder net and it's about the same depth as the current lowered water line. He's currently eating every pellet but still on the bottom unable to swim much.
    I'm going to keep monitoring him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice