Important Betta dying, anything I can do to help him?

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all,

My betta Ted injured himself somehow a few days ago, possible caught the fluttery side fin (don’t know the name of it) or squished himself somehow. Anyway he had a big red spot and that fin was clamped, then the fin disintegrated and same off. He seemed “okay,” for losing the equivalent of an arm. Swimming, eating, active etc.

But that side where he was hurt has become swollen and he is acting not okay now. Barely moving, sitting inside his log. The swelling seems to be getting worse.

I realize I will likely lose him, which is very sad, so please send good thoughts his way. He has been a lovely, delightful fish to know.

Is there anything that can be done to ease swelling and possible pineconing on that side? It’s not from constipation so I’m guessing Epsom salts are out. I have a little bit of aquarium salt (which I now realize can worsen bloat) so diluting that a little bit at a time without stressing him, and Stress Guard. Water is clean-clean.

Can I do anything else for him?

I couldn’t get any good photos of the swelled side, he’s not moving and his color is the same as the gravel, but one side is clearly very swollen. I’m attaching pics of him from yesterday, from today hovering on the ground, and last pic is
559A5985-5EDB-45E7-9155-8CFFA776E54B.jpeg
9D3BA9D4-2669-4D56-983B-E4FA23FD0C3A.jpeg
F38487FB-01CD-4DF5-89E9-7ED4638AB20A.jpeg
of him as his normal self, just cuz.

Thank you for keeping Mr.Ted in your thoughts...

-Stacia

OP
Mamastacia3

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Right after I posted this he came right up to the glass and showed me his side, so I got a good pic of it:

386160A8-DAB9-44D2-91E1-AF6233CED3EC.jpeg

New Threads