Betta Dying After Eating Lettuce!!!! Help!

Meredith

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh God. I just fed my snails some blanched lettuce and my betta decided to eat a piece that broke off - it was not a small piece and I kept expecting him to spit it out but it seemed stuck. I tried gently pulling it out but my betta flipped and I didnt want to accidentally yank it too hard while he was thrashing around. Several minutes later he ate the WHOLE THING and now he's listing on his side at the top of the tank!! Very bloated too urgh I didn't see this coming - he's never shown interest in eating the anubias in his tank or any of the snail's food in the past. At most he's poked at something and then left it be. He wouldn't/couldnt let go of this one and now he might die what do I do??

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm really sorry that happened, and I'm not very experienced in this area, so hopefully I bump this up for you. I'm not sure there is much you can do at this point, I think you should just wait and plan not to feed for a day or two. I'm really sorry this happened, I hope he makes it. Sorry you have to play the waiting game, it's the worst.

missa124816

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not an expert in this area, but I've heard that a skinned pea helps with bloating/constipation in Betta's. I'd do what Rtessy said and maybe not feed him and keep an eye on him for the night to see if he makes it. Feeding him the skinned pea may help that move along in his system, so if he's doing okay after a day maybe try giving him that.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, constipation is bad but if you stop feeding for the next few days (at least 3 I'd say) he should be fine. After the three days feed him a skinned pea to help his digestion. It's frequent for betta's to get really bloated and it often goes away by itself.

Meredith

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good news, Dazzle seems to have taken a turn for the better he's swimming like a fish again and not painfully bloated, but still a little round. He takes frequent breaks either at the surface of the water or in his cave. He's still listing a little at the surface sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as last night. I got him a leaf hammock today, hopefully it'll make him more comfortable.

I really appreciate your kind words and assurements. I was a little frantic because before Dazzle I lost two female bettas to dropsy, so I'm extra cautious about everything now. Did a fishless cycle and then got Dazzle a few months ago. I really hope this doesnt damage his kidneys

He's been such a trooper too - the cup he was in at petsmart was dirty and there were pieces of his tail at the bottom whether it was tail nipping or fin rot I don't know, his other fins were a bit tattered in some places too, but in any case he seemed to get better shortly after coming home with me. So it would be a huge shame if one random incident like this did him in.

Here's hoping it'll pass and his kidneys don't take a huge hit!

Meredith

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm really sorry that happened, and I'm not very experienced in this area, so hopefully I bump this up for you. I'm not sure there is much you can do at this point, I think you should just wait and plan not to feed for a day or two. I'm really sorry this happened, I hope he makes it. Sorry you have to play the waiting game, it's the worst.
Thank you for your kind words I really appreciated them last night. Dazzle seems to be getting better, but he's not out of the woods yet. At least he's not floating on his side struggling to breathe anymore. Last night was awful I had to leave the room eventually cause I couldn't watch anymore. At least he looks like he's feeling better now though. Fingers crossed

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fingers crossed! I'm so glad it sounds like he's doing better, I hope he recovers. I don't think this will put much strain on his kidneys, and likely won't have any long term effects. Good luck!

missa124816

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good news, Dazzle seems to have taken a turn for the better he's swimming like a fish again and not painfully bloated, but still a little round. He takes frequent breaks either at the surface of the water or in his cave. He's still listing a little at the surface sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as last night. I got him a leaf hammock today, hopefully it'll make him more comfortable.

I really appreciate your kind words and assurements. I was a little frantic because before Dazzle I lost two female bettas to dropsy, so I'm extra cautious about everything now. Did a fishless cycle and then got Dazzle a few months ago. I really hope this doesnt damage his kidneys

He's been such a trooper too - the cup he was in at petsmart was dirty and there were pieces of his tail at the bottom whether it was tail nipping or fin rot I don't know, his other fins were a bit tattered in some places too, but in any case he seemed to get better shortly after coming home with me. So it would be a huge shame if one random incident like this did him in.

Here's hoping it'll pass and his kidneys don't take a huge hit!
I’m happy to hear Dazzle is doing better! My Betta was just very sick so I empathize with the panic and worry you were probably feeling. So glad to hear things have gotten better!

It is sad to see the conditions these fish are in, in these pet stores. I bought mine from a pet store, but I don’t think I’d ever give money to them again because it just encourages the mistreatment of these poor souls.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Next time, I would feed some zucchini, squash or something like that, as it's more fish friendly and woke cause blockage like lettuce or seaweed.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Next time, I would feed some zucchini, squash or something like that, as it's more fish friendly and woke cause blockage like lettuce or seaweed.
I think OP was trying to feed the snails and the Betta went at it. Also, Bettas really shouldn't be fed any vegetables and should really only be fed carnivorious foods. Peas sometimes can be okay, but it should be fed carefully. Actually, I think certain vegetables can be fed in very small amounts but only to add fiber, and daphnia is better for them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom