Betta & Dwarf Gourami

loubie

Reaction score

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No! Bettas and Gouramis are related and both are aggressive. They will fight and one will die. Bettas get along with very few other fish. Most people keep them alone or with a couple of Otos or Cory Catfish. Bettas don't fight with some smaller fish like Tetras but the Tetras can be fin nippers and do a lot of damage to the Betta because he doesn't see them as a threat. Your best bet is to keep the Betta in a 5+ gallon tank alone and the Gourami in a larger community tank with compatible fish.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, bettas love to live alone............gouramis can cause trouble for any kind of fish, like kissing gourami is very annoying and some gouramis can be aggressive to other fish,i think angels and discus r best tank mates for gouramis

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

loubie

Reaction score
Thanks sorry to be vague, I have only just got my tank and into my fourth day of fishless cycling and trying to decide what fish to have. Can I put a betta in with a couple of tetras and dwarf neon rainbowfish?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tetras are fin nippers and shouldn't be kept with Bettas. If you really have your heart set on a Betta just get a couple of Cory catfish or Otos. Even then you should have a backup plan just in case the Betta doesn't like them. It seems you really want a tank with multiple fish. I would advise you don't get a Betta then and find compatible tropical fish for your tank. Bettas are best alone.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi loubie,

actually tetras r magnificent fish; they r not always fin nippers, u just have to choose the right tankmates. u have to keep at least 6 of them in a tank to reduce fin nipping. if u love tetras then i suggest u keep several species of tetras in a tank, like neons, sarpea, red eye etc. it will look really pretty!!!!!!!!! as they will school together. what is your tank size? just remember don't keep tetras with long-finned fish like betta, guppy, goldfish and angel.

i bought a 5 gallon tank for my betta only. they better be kept alone.

goodluck

loubie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I have been looking on the web re putting a betta in with just cardinal tetras. Most of them say that they make good tankmates. If so which do I put in first? I am currently cycling fishless

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you should decide to do this I would put the cardinal tetras in first and then the betta. Anytime you put fish with a Betta you should do this because Bettas are very territorial. Do you have any other tanks besides the one you are cycling? If you don't you might want to consider getting another just incase it doesn't work out. I don't know much about Cardinal tetras, but I do know that tetras can be fin nippers, so for this reason you should have a back up tank ready to go. Natalie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom