Help Betta doctors advice please, help!

Merlin420

Reaction score
I am new here and new again to the hobby as an adult. I do know about the Nitrogen cycle now. My Betta fish, whom I have had for approximately 4 months, is a great dude who has exhibited vigor and playfulness the entire time I've had him. I care about him very much, like many aquarium enthusiasts care for theirs.

I've read many threads on here about some of the questions and solutions I am seeking here, but because of the specifics of the timeline in this instance and overall scope of the issue at hand, I decided to create a new thread to discuss instead of piggybacking on an existing thread. My concern level for the fish's health is wayyy up there, and would like to get some bearing on this and rescue him.

I'll try to give a short summary of the timeline and symptoms here.
First, water readings: Ammonia - .25/ Nitrite 0/ Nitrate 40-80/ ph 7.8
Tank: 5.5 gal tank, 78 degree prefix heater (although it does run warmer at times) Filter. 3 Neons, 2 Otos and live plants also inhabit the tank. Betta leaf perches which he uses in good health and now, in poor. Added an airstone as of yesterday to help oxygenate.

3-4 days ago my guy was doing great. Vigorous, flaring, being puppy-like, always an appetite. Now I have over fed him inadvertently in the past and thought I had learned, as I had seen symptoms of lethargy and bloated-ness after feeding before, and had since scaled his food way back, even every other day for a bit.
Well I overfed him on Thursday (3 days ago - today is Sunday) and that is what has immediately precipitated these circumstances today, which have been become more concerning now, after a very strong rebound earlier today.
Friday after noticing extreme lethargy continuing into Saturday, and after much reading on this website and other sources, I made the initial determination he was constipated and sought to remedy this. He was sitting on the bottom of the tank and not moving anywhere close to his regular activity level and also seemed weighted on his back end when swimming up. Also made observations for dropsy.
I did a 50% water change (more on this in a sec), and prepared a 1 gal salt bath tank of .5 gal of dechlorinated tap water (was 1 gal to start) with 1t Epsom salt and .5 gal of tank water (added after dissolving salt and pouring out half of the tap water) with an airstone, and temp correct water. Bathed for 20m to begin.
Performed a water change in his tank, with parameters being .5/.5/50 and ph was over 8.8 (tap water here is high). I put in a piece of Mopani wood to help calm the ph and add tannins which *I think* are beneficial. He seemed about the same maybe a little thinner.
Performed another salt bath the same way 6-8 hours later and he seemed about the same, perhaps a little perkier. Water was .25/0/80 ph 6.8 by the second bath. That was yesterday.
This morning he had regained a steady amount of his vigor, and had buoyancy unlike the days before, although he was still regaining his strength. His bloating was not noticeable. I fed him frozen Daphnia (likely a mistake) which he was rabid for, and was swimming regularly but resting a bit more than usual on his leaves near the surface, instead ofthe tank floor. I spent much of the rest of today doing activities.

Tonight when I get in, I check on him and there are noticeable changes in his appearance and breathing which I have never seen before: his color is darkened on the lower half of his body; his fin's color also looks more matte, dull and not shiny like usual which I've never seen this catching my attention first; more laying on the bottom very still like; there may be a bit of a bulge in the back bottom near his tail fins; hes laying very still without flexing his gills much if at all while positioned like this; he seems to be laying on the leaves just to breathe as his gills arent flexing like usual there either. Water is .25/0/40-80 ph 7.8 . I will post pictures in the next post.

Super concerned now about dropsy or toxicity, the nitrate isnt going down. I think another water change is the solution for that but without proper ph solution control (will purchase tomorrow or anything else to help him if needed) I am hesitant to mess with it at this moment.
Also my filter media is dirty, I have a new replacement cartridge, but unsure if I should switch it in, as I'm confused as to when / how to do that without upsetting the bacterial flow. Will this correct my Nitrate levels?
He's going into another salt bath right now, and seems to have perked some in the bath tank, fighting his new buoyancy at first. Recommended time in baths?

I sincerely appreciate the feedback in this circumstance, I know there is a lot to cover here. Thanks in advance for those who have read this lengthy post and thank you also to those who reply in kind.

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, I think it is nice that you are able to read up and inform yourself on problems with your Betta.
I think that a way to calm the pH is to get pH reducing chemicals, or Indian Almond leaves, as they have tannins which are beneficial as they allow your aquarium to resemble the Betta's natural habitat.

You should watch for your ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, as they should be as close to 0 as possible.

For the water changes, you should fill a bucket with your tap water and drop the pH with leaves, tannins or whatever way you deem fit.
As someone who owns aquariums with a lot of plants, you should buy some Hornwort or other fast growing plants to suck up as much of the toxic nitrites or nitrates that is present.

If the stomach is bloated, feed your fish boiled peas that are squashed (so if they try to eat it, the pea won't just bounce away.)
Let me know if you have any questions!

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
First off I want to say that I dont have all the answers here. Im also fairly new to betta, but have done a bunch of research. I also want to acknowledge that I know how awful it feels having a sick fish and trying to do everything you can for them, it never feels like enough. First off there are a few things with I want to address other then the betta issues which may be contributing. Your tank itself it not a suitable home for the betta. Yes 5.5 is totally fine, its what I keep one of my betta in, but you simply cannot have any other fish in that tank. Its just way way to small for anything but a betta. You should be looking at a 20g tank for that many fish. This is likely why your unable to control the water parameters, its just too much. (additionally, neons are schooling fish and need a minimum of 6, ideally closer to 12)

I understand these things cant be fixed over night but I highly recommend getting a bigger tank, or re-homing/moving the other fish out of the 5.5. For right now: when you do a water change, vacuum the gravel with a siphon. This will help lower nitrates. pH is also clearly a huge issue. 8.2 is also way out of the ideal range for not only the betta, but also the other fish you have. You are right that driftwood will help, but since its so high and you are needing to do lots of water changes, getting something like pH down would be your best bet. Using driftwood as a buffer to lower pH takes time of it sitting in the water, which cant happen right now because of the water changes. I would get your replacement water, de-chlorinate it, add pH down, then test it to make sure its around 7.0 before adding back to the tank.

Now on to the betta himself. Fixing the issues above will make it much easier to treat him and to help him get better. Betta sickness often comes from poor water conditions. If it is dropsy, the outlook isnt great, it can be highly lethal fairly fast. Ways of treating are what you are doing, the salt baths as well as some antibiotics and feeding of high quality foods. Betta needs lots of protein so something ideally with over 40% protein content. I prefer just frozen brine shrimp. Super cheap, great source of protein, betta love it.

Let me know if you have other questions, hope your little guy starts feeling better <3

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A picture would definitely help. In a 5.5 gallon, a betta shouldn’t have any tank mates besides maybe shrimp or snails. The minimum tank size for neon tetras is 10 gallons. Same for ottos. The 2 also need to be in bigger groups or else they will be stressed. Your betta is also probably stressed from being in such a small tank with them.
I think what is happening to your betta is that he is stressed out because of his tank mates and the fluctuating water parameters. Are there any reasons the water parameters would be fluctuating like this that you might be aware of? Also why would you say feeding daphnia was a mistake? Did you cycle your tank before adding you fish in? If you did cycle your tank, how did you cycle it?
gourameee said:
If the stomach is bloated, feed your fish boiled peas that are squashed (so if they try to eat it, the pea won't just bounce away.)
Let me know if you have any questions!
I agree with everything except the peas. Peas were meant to help other fish and not bettas. Bettas can’t properly digest peas. Daphnia is sort of a natural laxative for bettas and usually really helps.

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
julifhy said:
I agree with everything except the peas. Peas were meant to help other fish and not bettas. Bettas can’t properly digest peas. Daphnia is sort of a natural laxative for bettas and usually really helps.
Oh thank you before I make someone harm their Betta!
I read on a lot of people using this as a remedy, but now i know it ain't good.
Thanks!

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gourameee said:
Oh thank you before I make someone harm their Betta!
I read on a lot of people using this as a remedy, but now i know it ain't good.
Thanks!
Np! I guess the pea does work for some people’s bettas and I don’t think it would actually harm the betta, but daphnia is definitely the better and more efficient option :)

OP
M

Merlin420

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:
First off I want to say that I dont have all the answers here. Im also fairly new to betta, but have done a bunch of research. I also want to acknowledge that I know how awful it feels having a sick fish and trying to do everything you can for them, it never feels like enough. First off there are a few things with I want to address other then the betta issues which may be contributing. Your tank itself it not a suitable home for the betta. You should be looking at a 20g tank for that many fish.

I understand these things cant be fixed over night but I highly recommend getting a bigger tank, or re-homing/moving the other fish out of the 5.5.

Now on to the betta himself. Fixing the issues above will make it much easier to treat him and to help him get better. Betta sickness often comes from poor water conditions.

Let me know if you have other questions, hope your little guy starts feeling better <3
Hey thank you a bunch, definitely will follow these guidelines more closely. As for the bigger tank, it has been in the works - albeit late now. I have a new 20 gallon kit as of last week which needs to be set up, and have everything for it. Dunno how soon it could be ready.
julifhy said:
A picture would definitely help.
I think what is happening to your betta is that he is stressed out because of his tank mates and the fluctuating water parameters. Are there any reasons the water parameters would be fluctuating like this that you might be aware of? Also why would you say feeding daphnia was a mistake? Did you cycle your tank before adding you fish in? If you did cycle your tank, how did you cycle it?
Appreciate it. I didnt know any better when I began, so it was a 'fish in tank cycle' when I started. Test kit came in down the road. Mistakes. Feeding him Daphnia today may have been too soon perhaps? Could have fasted him another day but I figured fiber would be beneficial if he was bloated, which he was, and he was kinda perky this morning when I fed him. But tonight is different.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Merlin420 said:
For the bigger tank: I would get it set up ASAP. That way if the betta has something contagious, you can prevent the spread. Get the 20 up and running, add something like quick start or cycle from fluval (beneficial bacteria in a bottle basically) to speed up a fish in cycle. It will honestly improve the conditions for all of your fishies. Also look into upping the size of the schools for both the ottos and neon. Doesn’t need to be right now (covid makes things hard when buying fish) but it would be what’s best for them in the long run and you got pleanty of room in a 20 for that! It will just make things so much easier to treat the betta and give him a healthy happy home. It will also get the nitrates under control. Mistakes happen, I’m glad you are open to making things better for your fishies

OP
M

Merlin420

Reaction score
All of these pictures taken this evening. In the 3rd pic, which is a zoom shot, he looks a lil scaly, also in the 5th pic. Which is a concern for dropsy as I've read but its doesnt appear very pronounced. There is also a new white streak in the middle of his tail I think. Ich? (not to be more of a hypochondriac here lol) The last 2 pictures are after the salt bath this evening. He's a bit better now because his gills are flexing but still hurtin.IMG_20200524_233837 (1).jpgIMG_20200524_225116.jpgIMG_20200524_233900.jpgIMG_20200524_235437.jpgScreenshot_2020-05-24-23-15-15 (1).pngIMG_20200525_021104.jpgIMG_20200525_021432.jpg

His color is more bluish when a flash is used.

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Merlin420 said:
All of these pictures taken this evening. In the 3rd pic, which is a zoom shot, he looks a lil scaly, also in the 5th pic. Which is a concern for dropsy as I've read but its doesnt appear very pronounced. There is also a new white streak in the middle of his tail I think. Ich? (not to be more of a hypochondriac here lol) The last 2 pictures are after the salt bath this evening. He's a bit better now because his gills are flexing but still hurtin.IMG_20200524_233837 (1).jpgIMG_20200524_225116.jpgIMG_20200524_233900.jpgIMG_20200524_235437.jpgScreenshot_2020-05-24-23-15-15 (1).pngIMG_20200525_021104.jpgIMG_20200525_021432.jpg

His fins seem abit tattered. Tetras and other faster-swimming fishes tend to nip fins, so watch out for that. My Betta got finrot due to nipping from my Ember Tetras.
If the tetras are nipping your betta, leave your betta in the 5.5, and put the otos and tetras together in your new 20.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Merlin420 said:

How much do you normally feed him?
I’m not sure, but I think he might have ammonia poisoning. Do 50% water changes daily and move his tank mates to the 20 gallon as soon as possible, like others already mentioned. I would also suggest filling out the emergency templete just in case (it will help with knowing all the details of your situation). Just copy and paste the emergency templete questions onto here and make sure to answer all of them. Also it doesn’t look like he has ich.

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
julifhy said:
How much do you normally feed him?
I’m not sure, but I think he might have ammonia poisoning. Do 50% water changes daily and move his tank mates to the 20 gallon as soon as possible, like others already mentioned. I would also suggest filling out the emergency templete just in case (it will help with knowing all the details of your situation). Just copy and paste the emergency templete questions onto here and make sure to answer all of them. Also it doesn’t look like he has ich.
Fish Emergency Template | 376562 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health

OP
M

Merlin420

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5 gal
How long has the tank been running? 3.5 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Currently: 1 male Betta, 3 Neons, 2 Otos.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week to 10 days.
How much of the water do you change? Half
What do use to treat your water? Top Fin Water Conditioner, Topfin Redi-start Nitrifying Bacteria Starter.
Also have a new unused product Seed Bacteria for new aquarium.

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Nope (I was uninformed and still a newb).
What do you use to test the water? API Master test kit as of a couple of weeks ago.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40-80
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Used to be everyday or every other day, then I realized I fed him (the Betta) too often.
How much do you feed your fish? At first, 7-10 pellets each feeding, then gradually less. He ate 7 or so pellets preceding this, then had some tetra food because you know he eats everything. But he was down to 3 pellets per feeding in the past few weeks.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Zoo Med micro floating betta pellet food. Tetra Tetra-Color tropical flakes made its way to him too while feeding the Neons. Zoo Med Betta dial-a-treat bloodworm, mysis, daphnia in small amounts occasionally. Hikari alage wafer chunks for the Otos.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Picked up Hikari Bio Pure Daphnia for latest feeding

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Approximately 4 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3-4 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Initially -bloated belly, letthargy. Now - some change in color and shine, no gills flexing, stillness. Also in the op itt.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Have done a water change, saltwater baths (3 so far), fasting, and adding airstones to the tank
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No hes been a gem since I've had him.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He's sick, you can tell. I did remove a plant he loved last week because the plant was too big for the aquarium and was browning, he seemed dumbfounded for a couple of days after. He was beautiful and frisky as ever 4 days ago.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) In the op at the top of the page

OP
M

Merlin420

Reaction score
I've read so many threads here about people freaking over their Bettas health while learning about the species and I've long thought I have been lucky with mine. Many of those threads seem like they have not had favorable outcomes. My guy is if hurting, dunno what I can do now to help him through the night. An 11th hour water change and overdue attempt to set up my 20 gallon (finally) might help. An all nighter for this guy

gourameee

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Merlin420 said:
I've read so many threads here about people freaking over their Bettas health while learning about the species and I've long thought I have been lucky with mine. Many of those threads seem like they have not had favorable outcomes. My guy is if hurting, dunno what I can do now to help him through the night. An 11th hour water change and overdue attempt to set up my 20 gallon (finally) might help. An all nighter for this guy
At this point, I think you should get some distilled water from your store, the more the better, and pour it into a bucket, about 6 inches of water height.
Then, bring your filter over, and just make it cycle your bucket. Light and plants or decor should be brought over too.
This temporary set up might cause stress, so be careful in handling your fishes.
Then, the bucket will now have an acceptable pH range o 7, and add anything that has tannins to allow your fish to live in a somewhat low pH environment.
This is a set up your betta can reside in for around a week?
It should buy time for you to set up your 20 gallon, and also if you can, get distilled/pure water (mineral water is questionable) and just use it for your tanks currently before you get a pH lowereing chemical from your LFS (local fish store).
Also, make sure you block your filter output with decorations (place driftwood or plant 1 cm away from output) to lower the current speed so your betta doesn't feel like it is in a washing machine.

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Merlin420 said:
You should set up your 20g right away!! Have your fish been peaceful with the Betta? Or do they nip at him?

What I would do is:
Fill a 5g bucket halfway with water, correct the ph and dechlorinate. Make sure it matches the temp of the tank
Fill the rest of the bucket with half of the tank water (keep it as clean as possible)
Catch all the fish and put them in the bucket (maybe give the Betta his own section somehow)
Put an airstone and heater in the bucket

Gravel vac the tank rreeeeeeaally well, get all the water out and as much muck as you can
Move all the gravel to your new 20g
Move all the decorations to the new tank (important! Do not clean anything! You want all the bacteria living on everything to survive if possible)
Fill the tank by filling buckets and dechlorinating/adjusting ph, THEN dumping in after
Fill all the way
Take your old filter, put the whole thing on your new tank
Did your new tank come with a filter? Set that up too. You cant have too much filtration (however, make sure you buffer the outflow a bit for your Betta)
Put the heater in
Check all your parameters and make sure they're stable

Check the parameters of the bucket water and make sure they're similar

Assuming parameters are very close, and new tank is all good, add your fish

You said you're familiar with a fish in cycle, right? This is kind of like that, except hopefully it will cycle much quicker since you have a mostly established filter already.

If your Betta has been getting nipped by the other tank mates, scratch everything I said and just set up your new 20g and stick everyone but your Betta in it. Cut a piece of the bio filter in half and stick that in the new filter to seed it.

When you gravel vac, are you really sticking the vac in pretty deep? Your ammonia shouldn't be that high consistently, it's really weird.

In any case, you should think about doing a 20% water change every day, there's no harm to clean water but much harm to dirty water

Definitely get something to buffer your ph tho!

Sorry this is long and if it came off as impersonal, I tend to just get down to business when I see someone needs help. I hope your fish will be okay though he's very cute! Good luck

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with the 2 comments above.
As for your betta, I think he might be more fat than bloated. 7-10 plus blood worms and daphnia is way too much. Depending on the size of the pellet, only feed 1-2 pellets twice a day (morning and afternoon). Your betta’s stomach is only as big as his eye, so make sure the amount your feeding him is about his eye size. Do you soak his food in tank water before feeding it to him? This is really important. Soak them for 15 minutes before feeding them to him. Feed him like this for 2 days, then on the second day instead of feeding him the pellet(s) feed him daphnia. Make sure it isn’t a big amount of daphnia and make sure to soak it before feeding it to him. Next, fast him for the next 3-4 days. After your done fasting, the first day you’re going to feed him again, in the morning feed him daphnia and in the afternoon pellets. Continue this feeding schedule every week, but instead of 3-4 days, fast him for 2. Also don’t feed him any bloodworms (bloodworms are basically fast food for bettas). This feeding schedule really helped my betta when he was bloated. It might take time for your betta, since he is more fat than bloated. You should also make sure he has a lot of room to swim in, so that he can exercise. Does he follow your finger? If he does, try to get him to swim around by chasing your finger. Do it for a couple minutes each day, but not too much so that he doesn’t get stressed.
I don’t think it’s dropsy, so you can discontinue the salt baths, BUT if you see his scales become pineconed, it does mean that it is dropsy and you should start treating him again. Make sure to keep a really close eye on him, keep the water very clean, use Seachem prime instead of the water conditioners you use now, and add tannins.

OP
M

Merlin420

Reaction score
So an update and thank you to those itt will their advice. Merlin (the betta) has bounced back some!
Will adjust his feeding routine as listed above. I cobbled together some of the advice for immediate help which has certainly been a positive thus far.
I removed all other fish from the tank and vacuumed the substrate again really well and made a 3/5 water change. I ran to buy 3 gal spring water at 5am lol, only 7-11 was open. The water tested all good before going in and at correct temp. I replanted the tank as I had to move plants and rocks to vacuum everything. Parameters after (AM): .25/0/20 ph 7.0 (sometimes cant tell if the ammonia color reading is 0 or .25 will attach pics. I've also read someplace that a reading of .25 indicates its between 0 and .25 and could be 0? Correct this if inaccurate information)

However he is up and down from what Ive seen today; energetic, normal at times yet he seems to tire quickly. His gills are flowing and pectoral fins humming, unlike the ER moment last night. Although he has been laying more in an odd spot on the bottom which he has been consistently going to, a noticeable part of his behavior today. He lodges himself between a moss ball and a plant and lays there for very long intervals, but will perk up if I'm near the tank, swim to the surface, maybe take a lap but then goes right back to that spot. Not sure if this is a serious worry button or not, but he seems less active now. Will include a pic as well. His dorsal fin is still clamped although he did let it fly when sparring with his reflection briefly. The fin has been clamped throughout this period.
Also to answer the question of his fins being tattered, they are full and intact. He has a clear part of his fins that outline everything seen in color. You can faintly see it in some pics if zoomed in.
PM parameters: 0-.25/0/20 pH 7.2
He did seem hungry as usual earlier and had just 2 pellets soaked as recommend above. He also does follow my finger like always but tonight he has been laying down there for a while (like in the first pic). Getting the 20 gal up, running, and ready is my next move as it was the original intention to house him in there before this situation arose. What else can I do now?

IMG_20200525_193306.jpgIMG_20200525_173233.jpgIMG_20200525_173337.jpgIMG_20200525_200206.jpg

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He’s not going to be active 24/7 so I wouldn’t worry about it too much, unless he seems lethargic again. Continue to do the daily water changes until the ammonia goes down. I had the same result on the ammonia test as you, but after I kept up with the water changes it was clear the ammonia had dropped to 0. Also do you have anything potentially sharp in your tank?

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Ammonia looks like it’s at 0 to me. Those tests also arnt totally perfect. Sometimes they read 0.25 when it’s really 0. He does look in bad shape through. It it hard to tell exactly what’s going on. Is that some sort of sore on the top of his body, or just his coloring? A healthy betta doesn’t just lay on the bottom of the tank, especially not sideways, there’s definitely something up. Unfortunately I don’t think my knowledge is enough to give a diagnosis. Hopefully someone else has got a better idea of what to do?

New Threads